7 Things Every Emailer Should Test

Discussion in 'Mail Chat' started by PushSend, Jan 10, 2012.

1. PushSend

PushSend VIP

The most common form of email testing is the A/B split test. Yet research shows that only 32% of companies test regularly and 13% don’t test at all. This means that if you commit to testing every email that you’d have a huge advantage over your competition.

This split test would involve you sending one version to a specific segment on your audience, then sending a modified or test version to the rest of your subscribers. By monitoring the results of each you can determine which version had better results.

Testing and monitoring are essential and they go hand in hand. It’s extremely important to analyze your results to make sure you are implementing the most effective strategies in your email campaigns.

There are a number of variables you could test, but there are 7 main ones that every smart email marketer tests. They go as follows:

Subject Lines

The subject line is arguably the single most important part of an email and because of that it’s the most popular element of email to test. Subject lines are responsible for compelling the recipients to open the email.

There is an art to creating subject lines that inspire action, and a good email marketer knows an email’s Achilles heel is a killer headline.

It’s imperative that you test to see which subject lines work and which ones don’t on a regular basis. This kind of analysis will help improve the success of future campaigns.

While subject lines are important, they aren’t the end all be all when it comes to testing. So don’t think you can test your subject line and leave it at that.

Send Times

Our subscribers are real people with real lives; all with different schedules and behavioral patterns. This is mind, testing to find out the best time to send email is crucial to maintaining a high level of response.

Everybody has different times when they read their email; some wait til they get to work and others read whenever they get a moment of downtime.

The VERY first thing I do in the morning is check my email (yes, I have a problem), and I continue to check them constantly throughout the day (don’t judge me, haha)

But my point is that if you know when your readers are more likely to read their email then its in your best interest to be in their inbox at that time.

Depending on how diverse your email list is geographically, you might even send out your blasts to each region at different times if it makes sense. Whatever the situation, make sure you test and figure out a time that works in your favor.

Best Day to Send

Just like there are certain times when people are most likely to read email, there are also certain days when people are most likely to do so as well. Not every checks their email everyday. Even if they do, the volume may prevent them from getting through them all in one shot.

Make sure you monitor what days you get the most open. The weekend is obviously a “no send zone” because people are generally in chill mode and don’t care to deal with anything that isn’t in the “leisure” category.

Aim for Tuesday through Thursday, with Wednesday being the most ideal day. Of course this doesn’t apply to time sensitive messages, but you catch my drift.

Layout

Good design is very important to how readers digest your content and message. Testing different layouts can show you what sections people are paying to and could even help emphasize certain information.

While I like to use text only email (mainly because there are no issue with rendering images), I really appreciate an email with a beautiful layout and design.

Don’t think layout and design are important?

Good design and layout is like the beat on a song. The beat sets the tone, it speaks to your soul and dictates the rhythm for the lyrical to fall into place. Ask yourself if you’d listen to an album full of lyrics acapella? I think not. Know why? You won’t feel the music.

Good design speaks to people’s emotions and subconscious. People might forget what you said to them but they’ll never forget how you mad them feel.

Text vs. Button Links

Every email has some type of hyperlink (or at least I would hope yours do). Whether you are directing readers to more content or you’re sending them to a checkout page, you need to tell them to do so in a clear and direct way.

When you use a CTA, you may use anchor text or you might use one of those “Buy Now” or “Add To Cart” buttons you see on sales pages. Both can be very effective if used correctly and under the right circumstances

How do you think you’re going to find out which is more effective?

Yup, Testing

I really don’t like absolutes but you really won’t ever be successful long term is you don’t test. Act accordingly

Database Segmentation

Segmentation is the most overlooked aspect of email marketing; ironically it’s one of the most vital at the same time. As I explained earlier, your subscribers have different behavioral patterns, demographics, and subscribe for many reasons. Marketers need to be aware of this and craft there messages accordingly.

For example, if Nike was having a meet and greet event in Los Angeles to celebrate the release of a new Kobe Bryant sneaker they would definitely be wise to send this out to people in California. Sending this email to people in New York would almost guarantee that you get your email deleted.

Why?

A meet and greet in LA isn’t relevant to people in New York because they can’t go.

Relevance leads to response. Segmentation allows you target a specific population in your database.

Here I used location as an example, but you could segment your list according to most recent purchase, time spent in your database and lots of others ways. The more data you have the more you can segment your list

Call to Action

Testing a CTA is very helpful is finding out what kind of instructions or directive people respond to more. A call to action is the Mariano Rivera of email, meaning it’s the closer, the finisher, it seals the deal.

If you don’t have a call to action then your recipients won’t take action because they don’t know what you want them to do next. The purpose of any marketing effort is to get people to buy something or take some other desired action, and email is certainly no different.

You might want to test several different CTAs over a period of time to see what works best. If you have a free report you want to give away, you might test “Download your free report now” against “Get access to this free report today” to see what works best. Whatever converts better should be taken into consideration for future use

source: DewaneMutunga