Accidental Noob

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by sml, Aug 27, 2013.

1. sml

sml New Member

G'morning.

I have just recently met my first mentor and he has gotten me into this whole email marketing thing.

So far, I have set up a website (mainly for redirects), signed up with an affiliate company, purchased some data ($1k/100k, non-targetted but supposedly fresh/quality and cleaned. Mostly TLDs (google/yahoo)), and signed up with an ESP and started mailing.

Results have been quite poor so far. Apparently, the ESP that my mentor uses had given him a warmed IP and mine was not so I pretty much got blocked by just about everyone as soon as I started mailing. Signed up with another ESP and taking it more slowly with them now.

Starting to suspect the data may not be quality, either, at this point, since signing up with the new ESP has avoided too many bounces but the open rate is still fairly low (around 2% for the best 50k of the original 100k).

Anyway, thanks for reading and I look forward to learning more on this forum.

Peace.

2. erbux

erbux VIP

Fuck mentors. Sorry bro not trying to discourage you I just keep hearing about these mentors out there a lot lately. Seems like the same scam.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

3. arbydar

arbydar VIP

Yeah, I have to agree. You'll learn a lot more, and faster, with the ole 'trial and error' approach - and asking lots of questions from the friendly folk here. Will probably cost you less too

4. roundabout

roundabout VIP

While I agree with you in the sense of higher end mailers and "teaching" don't seem to go together, there is a huge market, I think, for people in the affiliate industry who are used to making $10-$30 a day doing web pages and horrible SEO who would jump at the chance to make $100 a day from a noob mailer who knows just enough to make $100 a day himself, and probably 10x as more teaching this method to 10 people.

While I don't necessarily agree it is "teaching email" or anything significant, you can't ignore the fact there's always a market out there for anything, and a captive audience.

5. roundabout

roundabout VIP

Was your mentor's name "Super Duper Genii" by chance? :proud:

6. BigEricBug

BigEricBug VIP

Does "Super Duper Genii" have a platform too? His must make $5 a day being your master.

7. JayM

JayM VIP

I think learning form someone with out a doubt has it's advantages. I started a year and a half ago with Push and I never would have got it going or met any of the people I have if it were not for him. Forget the stuff he taught me, I can't put a price on the relationships I have cultivated because of him and the people he has introduced me to...

8. roundabout

roundabout VIP

Quotes taken entirely out of context just to break Push's balls.

9. JohnFarrell

JohnFarrell VIP

I've known him (his mentor) for a while and he's a good guy and does make money.

10. DAgent

DAgent Moderator

Home Page:
    I know him too -- one of our best clients, and great person. Same thing to say about SuperGenii -- although not our client, a great person to work with

11. arbydar

arbydar VIP

Agreed! There has been a lot of negative words here about SG, but I can say that he is a solid guy with a great platform that makes money for me.

12. sml

sml New Member

So...it might be a good idea to describe what I mean by a mentor. What you mention here is probably close to my situation lol.

This is not someone I paid or any kind of established 'guru'. Rather, it is a recently made friend who was making reasonable money with fairly small amount of effort and living comfortably and happily that way. I asked more about what he does and it sounded like I could definitely replicate it after a bit of effort. He offered to show me what he does and help out but he is in no way responsible for my results, nor is he asking anything from me.

He makes more than $100 a day but I wouldn't call him a high end mailer, probably quite low level, maybe $300-400 a day without much more effort than setting up the daily campaigns and occasionally trying out new ESPs and such. He has a background in related fields like marketing and SEO but other than some very simple sales copy, he doesn't really apply them in his emailing. It does help him in the sense of having a good network of friends in different areas, including people who run affiliate networks and a data broker but that's about it.

That said, *I* would be quite happy to make $100 a day, *profit*, as a start lol. At the moment, breaking even seems unlikely. Of course, this is my first attempt and I will figure out what the problem is, that's just where I am at right now.

So, in essence, what I called a mentor, might be more accurately described as a friend who is introducing me to this opportunity and helping to guide me through the basics.

13. damian

damian Active Member

well whatever you want to call him it doesn't sound like you are being guided at all if breaking even "seems unlikely"

14. sml

sml New Member

Yes, we are both a bit perplexed at this point. I should probably make a new thread asking for assistance or ideas, rather than go into details in my intro thread, though.

He has given me advice on different things to try but yes, none of them have worked out so far. I don't know if I will be able to replicate his successes but I do trust him and believe that he is in a position that I would like to be in and am willing to work towards.

15. sml

sml New Member