Any benefit to using image creatives?

Discussion in 'Noob Central' started by railfan, Apr 14, 2011.

1. railfan

railfan New Member

Hi,

I've noticed that most email readers suppress images from being displayed. Is there any benefit to sending images in emails or do most of you experienced mailers use just text alone?

RF

2. PushSend

PushSend VIP

I like MIME

IMO, of course there is. If you have read anything by, or listened to anything buy the serious players in this space you know that to be effective you need to "blend" your mail. Blend it in with the mail that's already hitting the inbox. Make it look, act and feel like what's obviously proven to work. Take a look at newsletters that make it to your inbox. They're filled with images. They have content, links, images...all that good stuff.

Then keep in mind that people are inherently lazy. That's why the Spam button is over used and misunderstood. People use it as a way to unsub rather than just follow a link. Hmmm...let's dig into that.

They would rather hit a 'button' than follow a 'link'. Think about that. What does a link say? "Click here to make $20k a day from home!"...to me that reads "total horseshit, possible phishing link or virus download" but then again I'm skeptical. As are a large majority of email users in my opinion.

But if you use an image, some content along with your link the user has something to evaluate more than just reading. Think about it as if you have about 2 seconds of the users attention before one of three things happen: 1. they click the spam button 2. they click on your link - or- 3. they follow your unsub link THEN hit spam

So, if you have an offer for Free McDonalds food (an offer I LOVE BTW) and you have an image of a fat, juicy Big Mac along with your link, in two seconds your user says "yum, I'm hungry" and then makes the decision to click on your link (or image with a call to action in it, i.e. big green button that says 'click here') or to do one of the other options.

In my testing of this (text only vs. MIME) I find that if you have a solid MIME template with an ultra low SA score and you run it up against a text only creative you won't see any significant reduction in delivery (I found it to be the opposite, I got better delivery with MIME) and your CTR will be higher. You have to use the same from/subject so you are fairly comparing the CTR with roughly the same open rate, but the numbers will show you the best way to go.

But I would tell you that what I find works for me might not work the same for you, so test. Run 2 creatives out on a small list of good, active data and see for yourself. It won't take long for you to see what works best for you.

Hope this helps.

:top:

3. Eli

Eli VIP

Home Page:
    ^what pushsend said

plus often times when you're split testing you'll often find some amazingly different results between the text only and image versions. Often times its tough to tell which one will work better, right when you rule out an image ad it comes in and way outperforms the text. Also there is a lot of ways you can optimize your images so they won't get blocked such as a header asking them to Allow Images or putting something interesting in the img alt tag.