Anyone have experience using ListMailPRO (or groupmail or arpreach but mostly LMP)

Discussion in 'Mail Chat' started by damian, Oct 30, 2015.

1. damian

damian Active Member

I found out about this list manager earlier today and was wondering if anyone here has any experience using using it. I was wondering if it was fast enough to mail to a list of more than 100k contacts (any more than that and I can just split up the lists into multiple 100k batches) in short bursts. Mostly for GI as these programs are likely to leave an obvious footprint and i don't think LMP has advanced throttling features so that's a big problem for tld..not so much for GI

I've been trying for a VERY long time (1-2 years) to find a decent list/campaign manager to use with my custom mail servers (based on exim, qmail & pmta)

I've also come across two other similar programs called arpReach and groupmail. arpReach seems adequate from what I've gathered but would still like more info on it. I haven't found much on groupmail but it does look solid albeit simple.

ListMailPRO website:
    http://listmailpro.com/

2. nickphx

nickphx VIP

If you've taken the time to modify or build your own MTA.. a list manager would be trivial.

3. damian

damian Active Member

I didnt say i built an MTA..(sorry maybe "based" was a wrong word to use) they ARE exim & qmail mta servers however when i say configured i mean they are set up specifically for outbound mail and lots of settings have been changed in their config files. Nothing too advanced..but enough where the default vs custom configs I worked on are vastly different in terms of performance.

i dont know why a list and campaign manager would be trivial...I still need the managers to handle my database and the different offers i plan to promote. I'm no coder by any means and thats why i still have to depend on list managers

4. nickphx

nickphx VIP

I assumed that you had developed something based off of those MTAs. My mistake.
    Why would you want the list manager to handle the throttling? Wouldn't throttling of sending be handled by the MTA?
    What's your idea of a short burst?
    I can dump 100k in less than 60 seconds from querying database for recipients, generating unique tracking links, building messages and queuing to PMTA, then PMTA pooping it out to the world.

My idea of a list manager is dumb software that pulls recipients and campaigns from a database at a scheduled time and dumps it into an MTA.
    The MTA handles all the things an MTA is supposed to handle; resolving MX hosts for recipient, connecting to remote MX hosts, sending mail, handling deferrals, rejections, etc.

5. damian

damian Active Member

yeah thats true with the throttling. its just i've seen some list/campaign managers have features that take care of those sort of things not directly of course, im well aware that the mta handles that but i guess some list managers have extra features that makes it easier to communicate with the MTA (FBL account set up, scripts that automate domain/IP/dns settings with the click of a button via the GUI, etc etc)

actually your own idea of a list manger is pretty much the way i'd define a list manager as well. I think ListMailPRO is a good example of this I've just never used it before so I'm wondering if its decent/fast enough.

There is also another one called nuevomailer that seems to have a shit ton of features:
    https://www.nuevomailer.com/nuevomailer

I'm just now finding quite a lot of these list managers that are self hosted and designed and coded in PHP. They all seem to have similar features. Guess I'll have to get one and see if it can handle some high volume GI mailing.