Being the VILLAIN!

Discussion in 'In The News' started by Bubbles, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Bubbles

Bubbles VIP

So as many of you know I run the Super Affiliates group on Facebook which is a really great place where industry people can rub shoulders. For years I've been the good guy but lately I've been experimenting with "playing the villain" as I moderate the group and it has been a phenomenal way to boost traffic. It's absolutely unreal how many new members join every time there is an argument. The group activity also skyrockets. The VS Shoemoney thing was unreal how many new members joined. Human psychology is a very strange thing. We LOVE the villain or at the very least LOVE to HATE them but if you can think of a way to safely create this kind of controversy with your email campaigns in a way that's safe and will not cause billions of complaints I think you'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

2. DaMadHatter

DaMadHatter Active Member

Yes. Being the "bad guy" is much more entertaining, and if you know how to 'stir the pot' you can get some positive results. All depending on what you end objective is. It will help you become established in a new community, or have you standing out from the pack in no time. If you are trying to get a site with members, it also can be helpful. Especially if you say things, or take the position, just to incite. It's a lot like watching a train wreck, or Fox News.

There are down sides as well long term however. There are many unstable individuals in this world, and some who take the internet waaaaaaaaaay too seriously. They can't seem to draw the line between a complete stranger on the internet, and real life.

:dontknow:

3. airin

airin Member

One of the best campaigns I have run is get a free Bible... The eCPMs were amazingly high, but so were the complaints. Talk about blowing a WL out of the water...ouch!

Bubbs - I was watching all of this unfold last night. It's your group, I get what you are doing... but at the same time, do you want to start being known as "that guy?" For the people that know you, your rep is solid and I don't think any of this will ever change that... it's the people that don't really know you. With how this industry fluctuates, with old people falling down and new people coming up, you might not want to risk alienating the new people... you never know which one can double your bank account.

Don't get me wrong, there have been a few people over the years that I have straight up told to fuck off because I really didn't like them, the way they did business or whatever. I wouldn't have cared if I could make 7 figs over night with them, I still would have said fuck off. But overall, there is not a bad thing anyone in this industry can say about my character or the way I do business. I go out of my way to make sure that is the case. It's always worked in my favor because as things fluctuate, the doors are always open.

Just my two cents... It is entertaining to watch. I will silently cheer you on from the sidelines! <3

4. Bubbles

Bubbles VIP

LOL balancing that is simple. You can throttle asshole factor and sprinkle it in from time to time to just spice things up when it gets dull. Besides I really could care less what people think of me personally as long as they know that I'm competent, loyal to friends, and a hard worker. Those douche bags asked for a ban. I don't randomly target people. They have to ask for it.

5. JohnFarrell

JohnFarrell VIP

That's when you turn it up on those people. It's fun to watch them explode.

6. DKPMO

DKPMO VIP

You are not a TRUE VILLAIN, till you've posted a picture twirling your mustache!

[​IMG]