Blackilists

Discussion in 'Noob Central' started by justenjoy, Sep 20, 2011.

1. justenjoy

justenjoy VIP

when people refer to being blacklisted which lists do they have in mind exactly? Seems there is a bunch of them.

2. justenjoy

justenjoy VIP

which ones should we have an eye on for tld's mailing?

3. PushSend

PushSend VIP

4. justenjoy

justenjoy VIP

yeah sure ok... its still 200+ blacklists. I'm sure most ppl don't give a rats ass about most of em but few. Can you name whose few?

5. PushSend

PushSend VIP

well the goal here smart ass - would be to stay off ALL of them. And while there are many that really don't do much in the way of inhibiting your ability to deliver email - a lot of these do.

But I'm curious now - since you're asking which specific blacklists to avoid - do you have some secret as to how you're going to accomplish this feat? And if so - why do you need to ask us which ones to avoid? Wouldn't you already KNOW this as you have your secret to avoiding them? Secret sauce tricks like avoiding blacklistings aren't really things "noobs" have hiding up their sleeves.

I provided you a great link to a site FULL of blacklists to avoid - don't be "that guy"

:shot:

6. justenjoy

justenjoy VIP

:top:

Im sorry if I sounded rude I really appreciate any info you guys post on noob section.

I only asked for specific names to see if I need to trash few ips I have that are on 3 or 4 lists out of those 200+ .

Thanks for teh link I love it.

7. DKPMO

DKPMO VIP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. justenjoy

justenjoy VIP

appreciate your effort dkpmo lol

9. Mike91TT

Mike91TT VIP

If you're on 3 or 4 blacklists on multirbl site, it doesn't necessarily mean anything. Again, depends what they are. A handful of them on there even tell you that it won't affect delivery. Don't trash IPs because of a few meaningless listings. Go to the listing site and find out what the mean before you "trash" the IPs for no reason.

10. PushSend

PushSend VIP

Ok, cool - so all you really wanted to know is how to get DElisted from a few blacklists. That's a bit different than trying to avoid them all together. Why don't you post up where you're listed and we'll see if there's something we can do to 'guide' you along in the process.

:wink:

11. roundabout

roundabout VIP

For IPs:

I assume you know that SBLs, CBLs, XBL, PBLs etc, all are just ugly. If you see those, head for the hills, and tell your data provider he sucks moose balls.

Cloudmark (CSI) will affect your cable/broadband deliveries. Setting up valid RDNS usually stops these.

UCEPROTECT will cause your ISPs admins to freak out, make sure you aren't going there. These listings are usually caused by mailing hard bounces which they have turned into traps.

SEM (Spam Eating Monkey) are important to be aware of, as they've made quite a name for themselves in the past few years.

SORBS and 5-10 seem to be listed for most mailers the moment they push SEND. I personally think their false positive are way too high for most major providers to take them seriously, and delivery isnt really affected when listed by these guys.

If you're getting any of the above (exception of SORBS/5-10) it means you're probably mailing a crappy hand-me-down list of crap names, etc and need to re-evaluate your data collection methods.

I know a lot of legit mailers out there simply don't have a killer website that collects 1,000,000 double optin names a month and like to take shortcuts, and as such, they have to deal with the above.

For Domain Blacklists, you'll want to make sure you aren't DBL listed, SURBL'd, URIBL'd, HostKarma'd, etc. These are a little trickier, as many list simply because you have URLs in your email which point to known affiliate networks.

If you're mailing any optin data that's > 90 days old, you'll want to get your data scrubbed for sure, see the ImpressionWise sub forum for more info.

Hope this helps...

12. chillbrah

chillbrah VIP

Now that's a damn helpful reply.

and...obviously, if you're SH'd, you're not delivering.

13. DaMadHatter

DaMadHatter Active Member

Summed up nicely. +REP
    :thrasher:

14. justenjoy

justenjoy VIP

Exactly what I was looking for thanks roundabout!

My ip's are listed on five ten but now I know I should not worry about it.

15. Jers81

Jers81 VIP

I actually had an ISP shut me down over a five ten listing once. Apprently, they (5-10), send an email to your ISP.
    Only happened once though.

16. justenjoy

justenjoy VIP

they were already listed when I got them so they can bite me

17. DKPMO

DKPMO VIP

This is actually a huge problem.

Many ISPs are either clueless or devious (does not really matter) and give you IPs that are already listed on some blacklist(s).

That part is fine and to be expected... However some would go ahead and a week after giving you a range claim these pre-existing listings is your fault, terminate you and try to keep the money.

Beware, and always bring it to ISP's attention that the ranges you got have blacklistings caused by prior users.

18. nickphx

nickphx VIP

setting rdns won't really help with a cockmarking if you're doing other spammy things.

simple run down of what not to do on new space cloudmark has not seen:

don't send commercial mail from new space that cloud mark has not seen
    don't rotate too many link domains
    don't setup 100 consecutive ips each with different domains as rdns....
    don't try to use 'hash busting' by adding random content

if you do any of those things when introducing new space to domains that use cloudmark, they will block you and will not remove the block. they're pretty responsive as far as reasons why they will not remove the block.

19. roundabout

roundabout VIP

I think you'd be surprised if you mail with forward DNS matching reverse, Cloudmark likes it.

And yes, don't do spammy things or hit blatant traps.

20. nickphx

nickphx VIP

There are certain things I assume most people sending email do before trying to send any email. Most cable providers won't even allow you to have an smtp session without proper rdns.