Dedicated Hosting noob Qs

Discussion in 'Noob Central' started by Ph0ngers, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Ph0ngers

Ph0ngers New Member

Hey gang,

Quick question just to help me set some expectations:

I'm embarking on a new mailer setup; is anybody willing to point me in the direction of some reliable Dedicated hosting sites? There's a ton out there when you search and I'd rather go on somebody's recommendation than trying to sift through the crap on my own.

Do you find you have to 'jump around' hosting providers often? Is it just something I should get used to as I venture into this endeavor?

Do you request IP space from the same providers that you get hosting from? or is it better to try to get IPs from separate sources? I know that I will likely be asked for reasons for extra IPs - what kind of reasoning is good to offer?

Thanks guys, I appreciate any help.

2. postmaster

postmaster VIP

You can find plenty of hosting recommendations on this forum if you search. I know I've seen some threads for it as recent as the last week or two.

Jumping around... depends on your data, the host's willingness to handle complaints, and top level domain mailing vs general internet mailing. Most TLD senders want to keep the IPs for an extended period of time to properly warm up the IPs and build some sending reputation. GI senders are more likely to churn and burn IPs.

If you want 5-10 IPs up to 1 full class C of IPs, then the host itself can likely help you out with that. You may or may not need to fill out an "IP Justification Form" for the IPs. If so, the easiest reason I've found is to list a domain name per IP and say you need to setup SSL for ecommerce. However, if the host is knowingly servicing mailers, then they can likely push this through without the form.

Last bit of advice... I highly recommend being upfront about your intentions with the hosting companies. There's no sense in setting up shop with an unsuspecting host, only to get canned a day or week later because they got some complaints.

Good luck.

3. DaMadHatter

DaMadHatter Active Member

Agreed.

If you're running GI, looking for 30 day terms, plan on racking up complaints, be upfront about it. While it may make it harder for you to find hosting as a GI compared to a TLD mailer, at least you will not get nuked for 1 complaint. There are ISP's and data centers who do not care about abuse if the money is right.

Good luck.

4. Ph0ngers

Ph0ngers New Member

Appreciate the input, fellas.

My intention is to run TLDs, on some data that I have been collecting. There's a bunch of GI in there that I would be interested in poking at, but my main focus is to hit the TLDs as they make the largest portion of the data, and I'm only interested in doing things 'the right way' with FBLs, SPF DKIM etc. Not into slamming this data every day hard, but selectively poking, prodding and learning (while making some coin) about what the list is responsive to.

5. jellyfish

jellyfish VIP

How much data are we talking about?

If its your own data, you might be better off using an ESP like icontact. Sendgrid or amazon AWS are pretty cheap cpm on the pay per send models.

If you stick to TLD, you can mail on most providers. Could be on the safe side and send some emails to sales@ the hosting companies and see if any will explicitly allow you to mail. Explain that you will only be mailing to the opt-in data, show where it comes from, that your filtering out the addresses that are not from a major provider so there shouldn't be any spamtrap hits or whatever you want to say. Then you will have an understanding with the company/companies policies. Of course this is a moot point on a huge host, but smaller hosts it will work well.