Difference between cold mailing and spam?

Discussion in 'Mail Chat' started by massMailer, Aug 13, 2018.

1. massMailer

massMailer Member

Since both are unsolicited I was wondering what differentiates cold mailing from spam.

From what I know, as long as the email is personalized, doesn't sound like you're trying to get a quick sale off that one drop and follows all can spam rules it is considered a cold email.

Does volume has to do anything with it? Like if I mail 10m/day then it might be considered spam and if I do 10k/day it won't?

Sorry if its a stupid question.
    Thanks

2. nickphx

nickphx VIP

I've only heard of 'cold email' in the context of B2B marketing.

3. massMailer

massMailer Member

Yes I have b2b data and was looking into how to mail it properly without looking like spam.

4. Jumper

Jumper Member

Isn't everything unsolicited unless they are subscribers to your original list?

5. massMailer

massMailer Member

Yes.

6. nickphx

nickphx VIP

With third party data, complaints are bound to happen. If you don't want to deal with complaints or problems or 'look like spam', work on getting your own data by setting up your own user paths/sites..
    You don't need some complicated website.. A simple form, privacy policy, and a few media buying campaigns later and you have data! If you want to use third party data.. Try sending b2b offers targeted to the industry the contact is in?

7. DoldGigga

DoldGigga VIP

Techincally, there is nothing illegal about so-called 'unsolicited' communications in any form, including email, as sending email to public-facing email addresses is protected by the first amendment (within the USA, at least). The notion that there's some kind of problem sending unsolicited email is made-up bullshit pushed by companies who know that email is the most effective form of advertising, but want to sell you overpriced PPC/CPC ads. This is why all the members of bogus trade groups like maawg consist of such companies. By suppressing competition from email marketers they can sell you worthless ads at even higher prices.

Spam, by practical definition, would be sending the SAME or SIMILAR email multiple times in a short period (i.e. within a day) to a specific recipient. That really was the original complaint that people had back in the late 90s...they'd get like 50+ emails a day from the same sender promoting the same trashy offer.

You left out the part where you'd have to spend tens of thousands on ineffective PPC/CPM ads. Your cost per lead will easily be in the $10-$15+ range for any profitable category like "weight loss", and if you try to reduce that CPL by using CLICKBAIT or "sign up for free ebook/prize/whatever" type of ads, then you'll just end up with lower quality data that still results in complaints and you'd be out at least $50K on ads.

8. massMailer

massMailer Member

That is true for US but in countries like CA, DE etc its straight up illegal to send any bulk mail unless they opted in for it.

9. DoldGigga

DoldGigga VIP

The right to free speech is a natural right, and it applies across the world and on all forms of public communication including email. If you prefer to kneel down and comply with laws against humanity, you may as well pack up your email operation up and go pay FB and google out the ass for ads. That way you will spend a lot of money and rarely, if ever, make any profit...but it's "legal".

10. massMailer

massMailer Member

lol

11. Jumper

Jumper Member

I came from the SERP side, and it is not that easy. DoldGigga is correct on the cost especially with very competitive niches. It is way easier to buy the data, clean it, and filter for clickers. How effective the data is I guess the list that you buy.

How many mailers use their own captured data?

12. massMailer

massMailer Member

I do a lot paid traffic as well and I know the cost of PPC etc sources is crazy high but they have high quality traffic as well, available instantly. I know the ROI is very less as compared to what we get in mailing but saying something like breaking the law is cool and doesn't mean what other legit marketers are doing is stupid lol. There are laws in place for a reason, no one likes spammers but there are ways to be fully legit in mailing, why go become an anarchist and become a target for stupid reasons where you can make good money legally and sleep well at night. The latter part is imp to me than any amount of money I'll ever have :)

13. damian

damian Active Member

There is also PPV trafffic, redirect traffic, pop ups/unders, etc... (tracking and bidding can be a tough learning curve but much cheaper than google ads)

14. DoldGigga

DoldGigga VIP

If ppc quality is so great, why not just stick to that and stop LARPing here as a marketer.

Wait, who said "breaking the law is cool"?

Such as? I'm dying to know what reason(s) you consider laws to limit or bar free speech, whether personal or commercial in nature, are warranted.

It's no surprise that some dipshit with a che guevera avatar cannot hobble together a single coherent sentence and instead craps out a bunch of disjointed comments:

"no one likes spammers" - Nobody likes little commie bitches either. Define "spammer".
    "fully legit in mailing" - Most will consider you a spammer, regardless.
    "why be anarchist" - I'm more along the lines of pinochet. Interested in a FREE helicopter ride?
    "made good money and sleep well at night" - Nobody is losing sleep over what the 'anti-Free Speech' faggots are doing.
    "virtue signaling more important than money" - Then go back to being a struggling barista.

15. massMailer

massMailer Member

LOL English is my 3rd language.

Yes right to free speech and everything is great as long as you are sending "Hello" or "Good morning" or just random text where you are not selling anything but if you are selling something and are not complying to the laws then it IS called illegal, how hard is that to understand?
    You are just trying to justify your mailing practices with "Free Speech" bs.

Bottom line is as long as the data is LEGIT then no one has to worry about a thing.

16. Jumper

Jumper Member

Legit can mean different things depending on how a civil lawsuit is filed, or what the Feds charge. Either way, you are going to spend a lot of money defending either one. Especially if the plaintiff of the civil complaint is an attorney.

17. DoldGigga

DoldGigga VIP

Your posts would be equally as idiotic in your first or second languages.

I'm not "justifying" anything; I am simply exercising my right to free speech, as does anyone who engages in broadcast communications.

Nobody can outlaw free speech, and email is included just as is any other form of communication. The internet is, fundametnally, about the free and open exchange of information and that includes information some may find triggering.

Judging by your responses, it is more likely that you're a shill for some anti-Free Speech group rather than a mailer. Let's just hope that the handful of actual mailers that still visit this place exercise careful discretion about who they share information with.

Data quality matters, meaning that you should be mailing actual humans; but your idea of legitimacy stems from ignorance.

Regardless of what rules/laws/regulations claim, they cannot enforce laws that contradict a fundamental natural right...and yes, commercial 'speech' is included under the umbrella of free speech.

If you take any other stand than full support of free speech in all forms/media, and try to modify your behavior to suit corrupt laws designed to stifle or ban your right to free speech, you really have no business being involved in email marketing. I can only wonder why are you even here.

18. massMailer

massMailer Member

I see, what I meant is that we should have consent from the subscribers to send them commercial email. This is like literally the most important and basic email law.

I don't even know why it needs to be discussed. People can try and twist this but bottom line is if someone gets a lawsuit then I would love to hear about "Gaiz, I haz free speech and I can use fancy words to make it seem its not illegal" to get out of it without paying any fine or penalties.

Anyway I am not gonna reply any further.

19. DoldGigga

DoldGigga VIP

It's actually not a law, and even if it was, good luck enforcing it. In the USA you cannot be privately sued under 'can spam', you'd have to get the FTC involved...but can spam really only requires that you identify yourself, provide a means to "opt out" and do not forge headers to obfuscate the true origin of the email.

Free speech cannot be "illegal". Are you competing for a special olympics trophy? Because let me tell you, you're winning, and if you're not already in the running you should sign up.

And if you or anyone else is fearful of a lawsuit for sending email, go into your "junk" folder on any of your email accounts, pick one and try to sue them. See how that works out for you.

That may be the only intelligent thing you've said.

20. Jumper

Jumper Member

A friend of mine got sued by one of the lawyers known to sue mailers. He paid out 20k for it to go away, and was served papers that referred to can spam laws being broken. What is the difference?