exim/qmail/postfix/pmta frontend question

Discussion in 'Mail Chat' started by damian, Oct 4, 2015.

1. damian

damian Active Member

Is it complicated to develop or code a front-end GUI for an MTA like exim/qmail/postfix/PMTA ?

I'm just trying to get an idea of how many hours it would take for a coder to get something like the following coded:

-allows to add and edit custom html emails
    -allows for the user to add servers and IP addresses to the system
    -track each email and see who’s opened, clicked, and unsubscribed from the email.
    -script to install front-end on new servers

Just to be clear, I'm trying to figure out the complexity behind all this so I can figure out what is a fair hourly pay for a coder on one of those "xxx for hire" sites.

2. SuperGenii

SuperGenii www.DataMCP.com

Takes more than just coding skills... For example, adding IPs might require understanding of DNS, Apache/Http... Its a pretty deep rabbit hole with many intertwined parts.. So, unless you've actually coded something like this before, its probably much more complicated than you realize..

SG

3. damian

damian Active Member

I wont be the one doing the coding. like I said I'm just trying to get a general idea so I can figure out a good hourly pay for a coder for hire.

But you are right. I can see there being a lot of components to setting something like this up (I imagine they would even have to know how to work with certain APIs for pulling domains from registrars). Going to have to do a bit more research.

4. damian

damian Active Member

What sucks is I know how to run some of these servers, not much but I can get in there and tune things to a certain degree. In fact I've already set up my own personal exim mailing servers for basic uses. It's the list/IP/offer management that is something I can't really seem to figure out. That's where I get lost. List managers like Mailman/EZMLM just aren't cut out for my affiliate mailing needs

5. bambito

bambito New Member

I think why the OP means by "adding servers and IPs" is the ability to add remote SMTPs/SMTP service providers. OP, correct me if I'm wrong.

OP, you're looking at somewhere around $500 to $1000USD depending on the coder.

6. Mailer

Mailer VIP

It can be done, but you'll also require I going support from your coder. Mailing isn't a one fix shop... You either code it or have it done, and trust me you'll need changes regularly.