Faceoff 2015: ADK v OBM

Discussion in 'Networks Discussion' started by SuperGenii, Jan 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperGenii

SuperGenii www.DataMCP.com

Greetings Mailers,

It's that time again. Time to compare the two main integrated creative suppliers, AdKnowledge's AdStation Integrated and OBMedia Integrated, to determine the following:

1: Revenue Comparisons
    2: Ad Delivery Impact
    3: Ad Rotation Frequency/Repetition
    4: Ad Relevance/Content
    5: Click Filtering/Rejection
    5: Payout Frequency/Timeliness
    6: Service/Support

I have been personally working with both companies for years now, and recommend either one. However, as dynamic and rapidly changing as this industry can be, it's always good to refresh our experiences, as we chase the highest return for our efforts.

Over the next few days, I will be setting up for the showdown. The test environment will involve US data. Offers from both systems will be sent via the same IPs, approximately 30, on a VPS running Kung Fu mailer. The VPS w IPs costs approximately $108/mo.

The mailing platform will rotate requests between ADK and OBM so that recipient 1 receives ADK, recipient 2 receives OBM, recipient 3 received ADK, etc. etc.. So the split test should be as even and accurate as possible.

The data will consist of mainly small lists, provided by a long time client, with all revenue generated going to them, not me. Hotmail, Yahoo, Aol and Gmail associated domains will be the primary recipients.

Finally, let me take a moment to thank my anonymous data provider, as well as, AdKnowledge, OBMedia, and of course, MailerForum. I look forward to getting this going and sharing my findings with you all in the coming days and weeks.

SG

2. flamon18

flamon18 Member

Awesome, looking forward to this thread as always!

3. vuedoolor

vuedoolor Banned

First time hearing of these networks

Do they pay based on number of clicks you generate?

If so how much do they typically pay?

4. SuperGenii

Greetings Mailers,

I encountered some setbacks getting things set up for this experiment. But it looks like we're finally in business...

The $108/mo VPS was replaced with a $200/mo dedicated server hosting a /27. So when you factor in $400/mo for MCP+KungFu and $200/mo for IPs, our minimum daily break even point is roughly $20/day.

DISCLAIMER: Don't expect this show to rain money. Realistic expectations and goals are needed and so I would like to see this $600 experiment yield $1000+ in returns, monthly. Ultimately, this is a comparison of revenue generated between the two networks, based on even, steady, automated delivery - not me trying to slam the data and IPs for a fast buck/maximum return..

Steady, consistent, long term delivery/revenue and analysis is the primary purpose of this thread.

The data supplied by my client is solid. IPs are decent - we're delivering to all major domains, though AOL is heavily deferring...

Thank you all for being patient during the setup and startup - I will give revenue a couple days to get going and start reporting the numbers in the near future..

SG

5. SuperGenii

Greetings Mailers,

Revenue is starting to trickle in. I am queuing around 25k per drop to warm things up slowly.

Also, I've decided, in order to better analyze and compare delivery stats, instead of running them both at the same time in a single campaign, I am rotating back and forth, one drop ADK, one drop OBM, one drop ADK, etc etc.. So I expect revenue to bounce back and forth between the two.

Starting slow and easing up delivery over the course of this week.

ADKi
    Date: 2015-02-01
    Impressions: 136
    Revenue: $1.52
    PPC: $0.38

Date: 2015-02-02
    Impressions: 436
    Revenue: $23.00
    PPC: $1.92
    --------------------------------
    MTD: $24.52

OBMi
    Date: 2015-02-01
    Impressions: 151
    Revenue: $9.01
    PPC: $0.47

Date: 2015-02-02
    Impressions: 213
    Revenue: $5.37
    PPC: $0.26
    -------------------------------
    MTD: $14.38

SG

6. SuperGenii

I hate making excuses but I'm dealing with a hardware setback.

The system provided by the client is going through waves of extremely slow connectivity. Its causing queues to timeout and I suspect that its either a bad NIC or the NIC is not fully compatible with CentOS 6.6. Speedtests would literally drop to single digit kB/s. I've experienced situations when I've thought a system's NIC was dead, but after installing windows, it would work fine..

Anyways, excuses aside, I've talked my participating client into grabbing an $85 VPS which is now installed and ready to mail.. It came with a /27 which might have added $20/mo to the cost. Regardless, it should perform better and cost virtually half the broken dedi server we're replacing..

Just waiting on RDNS.

Thank you all for understanding and being patient while I work out the kinks and get this show on track..

SG

7. ajpromo

ajpromo New Member

Looking forward to an update on the stats.

8. massMailer

massMailer Member

sounds good SG.

Please update us in few days not next month :D

9. SuperGenii

Yes I know its taken a little time to sort out bumps and kinks.

We switched IPs from the broken NIC $200 dedi to the $105VPS and its been slow navigating around CSS with only a /27.

But, its moving, slowly but surely. Getting the IPs warm over these first two weeks takes time, mailing barely 10-25k/day.

The VPS went live on the 5th, so, just looking at that revenue, from the 5th through the 18th is as follows.

ADK
    Revenue: $67.96
    Paid Clicks: 116
    PPC: $0.59

OBM
    Revenue: $65.65
    Paid Clicks: 143
    PPC: $0.46

Good to see that the VPS paid for itself in 10 days or less. And that's with engine speeds practically on idle with minimal volume sent. Thus, the experiment should be able to continue and sustain it self financially and put a few bucks in my clients pocket.

I'll try to get these numbers up too, as the IPs warm and I build some clickers, but the point is more to compare the two networks than to maximize revenue.

More to come..

SG

10. SuperGenii

Part of the reason why I have not been posting daily results like past examinations, is due to some inconsistencies I am observing. I have been testing on multiple OBMi and ADKi client accounts and the following screenshot illustrates just how vast daily discrepancies can be.

Identical Lists. Same ISP but different VPS accounts.

DeliveryComparison.jpg
    I want to be fair to both networks here - but I just get the feeling things on ADKs backend are not running as they used to.. And when I ask them whats up, all I get is, "Its fixed now.." Well then, what was broken?

I will continue to run these two head to head - but before we can get to a fair comparison of daily revenue, we need to see consistent delivery and performance, stable functionality, etc. etc.

Finally, ask yourself this: if you were in charge of the delivery in the above screenshot, would your instinct be to run ADKi next after such a successful OBMi drop or keep slamming that OBMi... The answer is obvious in my opinion but I'll let the client decide..

SG

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  11. SuperGenii

BTW: the screen shot image header is ID | Status | Start/Finish | Lists (whited out) | Progress | Successful (blue) | Failed (red) | Opens (Blue) | Clicks (Green) | Unsubs(Red) | CreativeID

12. NiroTnt

NiroTnt New Member

Home Page:
    great post! any news? updates? thanks!

13. kcwebguy

kcwebguy New Member

Please update this...

14. sonto

sonto New Member

Yes please, update appreciated!

15. SuperGenii

Thank you for the interest everyone. We should probably close this thread.

Ultimately, I rely on clients to help me promote this contest, and currently, no one is running AdKnowledge, and I don't see that changing, nor do I wish to push any clients toward running them just for the sake of this thread. I know that volume from my network and clients to AdKnowledge has dwindled to non-existence, and so other mailers might not have been affected, but our terms were pushed back from Net 15 to Net 30 (anyone else?), and that alone is significant in considering sending traffic... (OB is NET15 fyi)

There seems to be a disconnect at Acknowledge as well. I found all too often that the people who you deal with at Acknowledged were disconnected from the internal workings, so much so, that they really didn't fully understand things, made mistakes often, and this just simply isn't the case with OB. Day to day contact with OBs highly competent team, very stable interface, repeated visits from management, including drinks with the top dogs! Not to mention, as open and honest as you can expect from a network. Who says this about AdK? Anyone?

So I regret not being able to get this thread off the ground..

Please do not contact me about how to get access to either ADK or OBM.

SG

16. ProducerK

ProducerK Guest

Thread Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.