Getting DBL'd prior to even Dropping

Discussion in 'Noob Central' started by Throughput Sales, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Throughput Sales

Throughput Sales VIP

Any words of advice on DBL.

How to avoid it?
    What might I be doing wrong?
    Could it be my platform?

I am mailing GI and constantly getting hit by DBL sometimes prior to even dropping. I am kind of new to mailing GI. I know this is happens and keeping off the DBL is very hard to do.. but I can't even get 100k messages out without getting hit. I clean my lists through Quickie first and then IW second.

2. Fun4uoc

Fun4uoc VIP

I assume that you are changing up all the domains/hostnames after a DBL, including the domains in the message body?

3. Throughput Sales

Throughput Sales VIP

Yes... we have it set up to once we realize the domain is listed that all i do is check the next ip assignment in line and it swaps out the assignment in real time... but I can't seem to get out much mail before it is listed again. I know this is normal to some degree with GI..but it has me thinking I am doing something wrong here.

4. Jers81

Jers81 VIP

Are those domains also listed on spameating monkey? How old are they?

5. Throughput Sales

Throughput Sales VIP

Yes.. .listed on spam eating monkey.... I usually buy my domains and use them within 1 day.. It seems to avoid the day old bread hit when you use them right away.. if I wait another day then I get hit with it.

6. PepeLePew

PepeLePew VIP

Here is an advice. Buy domains in bulk with a new account and let them ripen for a minimum of 15 days. 1-3 month would be best. Oh and don't use GD or any of the GD resellers to buy them.
    This works well for GI, but there are many other variables including when to add your NS records, etc...

Hope this helps.

7. DKPMO

DKPMO VIP

Pepe is on the money. Also do not point domains onto blacklisted IPs.

8. PepeLePew

PepeLePew VIP

That should be on top of the list. LOL

9. ThisGuyOverHere

ThisGuyOverHere VIP

Home Page:
    To add to this be sure to unpoint any URIBL or listed domains which may point to IPs youre pointing new domains to.

to summarize:

1. Don't point domains to dirty IPs.
    2. Don't point domains to IPs which currently have dirty domains pointed to them.
    3. Be sure to clear all rDNS from said IPs relating to old domains.

10. Throughput Sales

Throughput Sales VIP

Sounds good I appreciate the advice.

11. nickphx

nickphx VIP

Are you using the same name servers for each domain you're registering?
    IE you buy 100 domains, during the bulk registration you set their names servers to ns1.youroldnameserver.com, ns2.youroldnameserver.com ?

With the exception of a few registrars that are monitored for being known 'mailer friendly'.. I've found that during bulk registration if I leave default registrar's nameserver, then create child nameservers under each domain, then update the domains to use their child nameservers I have no problems. Of course I wrote a script that does all this, because doing so manually is madness..

12. DaMadHatter

DaMadHatter Active Member

You would be surprised how often this happens. Even with some bigger ESP's.

People using the same registrar, and account, to register all 1000 domains. Including large numbers at once (spam eating monkey). Then assign them ALL to one name server (NS.NICKYROCKS.COM), and then mail all of the same exact data (versus segmenting it) off of all their boxes no matter the network...

and then are MYSTIFIED how all of their shit gets lit up at the same time while thinking Spamhaus is Columbo.

:hmmmm:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  13. Throughput Sales

Throughput Sales VIP

Thanks for the good info here. Sorry it took so long to respond. I've tried some of the suggestions you guys have given us.

One thing I notice is that we are getting about 20% of our domains within Namecheap DBL'd prior to even assigning them to an IP. So i understand that if I assign a new, clean domain to a dirty IP that this is a red flag but why would this be happening prior to doing so.

I have a feeling it has to do with my DNS configuration.

Should we not be using the default name servers? When we purchase domains through Namecheap we are buying .Infos with Privacy (another red flag) and we are selecting to use the Default Name Servers that Name Cheap provides.

I see one of the default name server records from Name Cheap is already on a Dbl blacklist named backscatter.

I feel like a footprint is being left somewhere in the process but why are only 20% of our domains DBL'd in 24 hours and not the whole set?

14. DaMadHatter

DaMadHatter Active Member

It could be any number of reasons, however I will say the easiest is name servers.

A lot (not all) of mailers use the same exact name servers for everything. This is a problem and easily I.D.'s you.

The same registrar (even when private, you have a client ID), the same name servers for all domains, the same DBA listed (assuming you are can spam compliant), and so forth. For those who've done SEO in the past, you know how this works. Mailing is the same premise. You have to break up your registrars, your name servers, your DBA's, and so on. Otherwise, it is not mystery science theatre to find you.

Spamhaus is not Columbo. I would bet 99% of the time the reason you are nailed is because of greed (pushing insane volumes), bad data (list hygiene), or careless mistakes (registrar, name servers) that could be easily avoided if you set your mailing network up properly from the get go.

/2cts

15. DKPMO

DKPMO VIP

There is your problem. You have a mis-configured email server that allows 3rd parties bounce spam off your IPs.

This should help you get started on identifying the root cause: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backscatter_(e-mail)

16. joel1234

joel1234 New Member

what if your esp has an automatic API for registrars? this limits me as they only use namecheap and moniker. I have been having the exact same problem. I wanted to create some private nameservers. Also, i have created new accounts to try with bogus info at moniker, but i am using the same paypal account to fund them. Can they tie that in to recognize me? I am getting dbl'ed within 15 minutes of a drop on a new account with the registrar.

17. Fun4uoc

Fun4uoc VIP

Not being very Can-Spam compliant are we?

18. Mike91TT

Mike91TT VIP

I don't know if that is breaking can spam...your real name is on the CC/billing address. Well whatever.

19. Fun4uoc

Fun4uoc VIP

Don’t use false or misleading header information. Your “From,” “To,” “Reply-To,” and routing information – including the originating domain name and email address – must be accurate and identify the person or business who initiated the message.

20. Mike91TT

Mike91TT VIP

Well no falsifying header info, but I guess if your domain is registered to John Smith but your real name is Dan Smith, yeah I guess you're right. Most people use privacy anyway so I guess it's no big deal.