Gmail + DKIM

Discussion in 'Mail Chat' started by docbrown, Apr 9, 2013.

1. docbrown

docbrown Member

Hi - I'm noticing something strange and wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts.
    When sending to gmail: For a particular new domain, when I do NOT sign my messages with dkim, my emails go straight to the inbox. However, if I sign my emails, they end up in the spam folder, even though all checks pass:
    Here are sample headers for message in the spam folder:
    Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 1.1.1.1 as permitted sender) client-ip=1.1.1.1;
    Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
    spf=pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 1.1.1.1 as permitted sender) [email protected];
    dkim=pass [email protected]

Also these are really just test messages, so the same content, when not signed goes to inbox, when signed goes to spam.

Also I have checked my domain keys/dkim with 3rd party tools and everything comes back good.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. VelocitySoftware

VelocitySoftware Member

Home Page:
    What is your DKIM key length?

3. docbrown

docbrown Member

DKIM lenght is 1024

4. DoldGigga

DoldGigga VIP

If you think about it, it is more likely that a new domain using DKIM and/or SPF from the start is likely to be sending bulk email than a new domain that is just sending email.

In other words, playing by the "rules" is placing your emails into some arbitrary profile based on the same shoddy statistics google uses to determine that splogs are of greater relevance to users than a page on topic to the search term a user entered.

To further simplify - it's like the fucktard who thought it was a good idea to filter emails as spam if they contain the word "unsubscribe" in their body.

Solution is to experiment with sending email and going through your "warm up" process with the new domain and then enabling DKIM / SPF if you start to see delivery issues once your volume scales up.