Hello folks

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Bobmail, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Bobmail

Bobmail New Member

Hi folks,

Dickie here - stumbled across this forum quite by accident - some really good material here.

Several years experience in the anti-spam community, before jumping ship into commercial email marketing because money was better than honor......

Thanks for a great resource.

Dickie

2. sendizo

sendizo Member

Welcome to the mailer community. :)

3. sendizo

sendizo Member

I got a question for you, how does anti-spam network, reputation networks and RBL knows which IP are sending email and how they know the volume sent from that IP?

4. DoldGigga

DoldGigga VIP

Honor for pandering to facist cocksuckers on authoritarian power-trips under the pretense of "fighting" non-existent "spam"? No, it's just censorship pure and simple - the total opposite of honor.

The day of reckoning is coming for you and your ilk. Your bullshit net neutrality scam will be undone and the people will find a way to revise laws to severely penalize any internet service providing company that engages in mass censorship - that includes amazon, google and fb.

5. Bobmail

Bobmail New Member

That pretty much is the conclusion I came to too...

6. Bobmail

Bobmail New Member

Plain and simple: Feedback from gateways and users.

If a new IP jumps up showing some volume, and it's not been seen before, that will trigger mechanisms to look at the intent of the message, and to rate control that IP. That feeds back into larger networks like Barracuda, Spamhaus et al.

These guys particularly like the c-panel type of 'all in one' installs that are acting as mail servers, hosts and DNS servers. In fact, listing the IP of the authoritative name server for a domain is a classic trick as they can take out multiple 'spam' domains (or 'spam' domains as they see it.)

The sending history / volume over 30 or more days is tracked, and with people like CISCO behind it, the only way you can 'game' the system outside of warming IPs up with 'good quality, relevant email', is to use whitelisted IPs.

Bottom line - mail spikes can be detected in the blink of an eye over 30 days thanks to things like this: https://talosintelligence.com/

7. sendizo

sendizo Member

Thank you for your response.
    Yes, i m familiar with CISCO and senderscore history. i wanted to know how they know that a specific IP started sending emails. like on SenderBase. if you using /27 IPs to send. it will lists all those IPs. I thought they figure the sending IP from DNS record like SPF, MX or A record pointed to the main domain. but if you have 2 IPs not sending from the /27. sender base will show only the 28 IP. maybe they can know from DNS queries or requests?

8. sendizo

sendizo Member

9. Bobmail

Bobmail New Member

Simple. Because the gateway machines you are sending mail to, from any given IP, is sending details of that connection into feedback networks in real time. So if you have a /24 or /27 and two IP's start to connect to 'mail.gateway.whatever' and that happens to be running a proprietory anti-spam solution that sends feedback to CISCO or similar vendor, they know the IP has gone live. Different A/S vendors have different rate criteria, but the majority of them take feedback from every machine/gateway they are installed on.

I can think of one particular domain/service (MessageLabs) where if you telnet into on port 25 and give a couple of duff commands, it used to list your connecting IP on the CBL in minutes - no matter how inactive the IP may have previously been.

Does that help at all, or am I misunderstanding you?

There are other systems that make use of DNS queries too - but a good number watch for the connection rate of a new IP, feed that back, and locally limit as a protective measure once a fairly low threshold is reached.

10. sendizo

sendizo Member

@Bobmail. thank you for the explanation. it makes sense now i understand. Thanks again for your input.
    Cheers,

11. DoldGigga

DoldGigga VIP

Clever as they think they may be for doing this, this type of activity only encourages the use of malware / botnets to send email. Nobody really saying much about the countless smartphones that are now email relays.

Unless whitelisting is offered by the receiving end or you know someone on the inside who owes you favors, it's not even an option. IP warming is also dubious at best. Software cannot determing quality or relevance in any meaningful way so it almost always boils down to them classifying the targets of the links within the email as "good" or "bad" and blocking the bad ones, which includes just about all affiliate offer landing pages.

Regardless of what the fascists claim, their true method for ranking emails is probably more like this:

1) Server Identifier: (IP/DNS/Domain)
    2) Email Link Target
    3) Comparison of messages from 1 that contain same or similar 2
    4) Text keyword matches

I don't think it gets much more complex than that, at least not with domains worth sending to.

12. SuperGenii

SuperGenii www.DataMCP.com

What the fuck is this actual email related conversation doing in this forum? I am searching for a $20 unlimited email offer, and this is what I have to read? Take your email talk elsewhere fellas..

SG