Ken Magill Calls Out Nanae

Discussion in 'In The News' started by roundabout, Feb 22, 2012.

1. roundabout

roundabout VIP

Stupid Anti-Spammer Watch: Poo-Flinging Monkeys Visit The Magill Report

By Ken Magill

Imagine walking into your living room to find monkeys flinging poo at each other.

I had the online equivalent of that experience this weekend when I went back to check the comments under last week’s Magill Report newsletter articles.

Surprisingly, under the article “Spamhaus Rising: Or Why Your ESP Has Toughened Up” there was a slew of comments—26 pages of them.

“Wow,” I thought. “This is the kind of action I’ve been looking for.”

Then I saw the content. It was a spill-over argument from Nanae. Ugh.

For those unfamiliar with Nanae, it is an online discussion group for anti-spammers. More importantly, it is a group where the crazies have for the most part run everyone else off.

Nanae is the online discussion-group equivalent of poo-flinging monkeys. When someone disagrees with them, they don’t debate. They name-call and they smear.

Fling. Splat!

Such was the case with one Andrew Stephens, a man the folks at Nanae apparently consider a spammer of the worst sort. For all I know, Stephens could be a spammer who stabs puppies to death with oyster forks and eats their heads raw.

Stephens is not the point. The point is the tactics of his attackers. For one thing, they were anonymous. One posted under the name “Gronk,” for example.

[If they were anonymous, how do I know they were Nanae participants? Because a parallel, related discussion—if that’s the word—was happening in the group, as well.]

Anonymous attack comments are the worst form of Internet cowardice.

Second, they posted information apparently solely in an attempt to smear Stephens, references to records that indicate he has a criminal past, for example—something he admits.

They also posted what looks to be his home address and a claim he is or has been a deadbeat dad.

What does any of this have to do with a debate over anti-spam outfit Spamhaus and its power in the email ecosphere? Nothing.

To be fair, Stephens was no innocent in the Magill Report poo-flinging extravaganza. He called Nanae out first and was responsible for the vast majority of the 26 pages of commentary.

So what did I do? I deleted the entire thread.

Here’s the deal: No one loves a spirited debate more than I. I don’t even necessarily mind name calling (poo-flinging monkeys, anyone?). But smear tactics will not be tolerated in The Magill Report’s comments no matter who they’re used against.

Message to Nanae participants: You hate me. Why would you give me page views?

When I launched The Magill Report, I decided not to moderate the comments—mostly out of laziness, frankly. I’d rather not have to start now. So let’s keep the poo-flinging where it belongs. It has a perfectly fine home on Nanae.

On a side note: Armageddon is most certainly upon us. How else to explain me as a voice of civility?

Article Comments:

Source:
    http://www.magillreport.com/Stupid-Anti-Spammer-Watch-Nanae-Craps-on-my-Site/

2. DoldGigga

DoldGigga VIP

Let's take advantage of lobbying and bribe a politician to put forth the "Open Electronic Communications Act" that makes it illegal for ISPs or service providers to block or interfere with communications including email without a court order or warrant. Who's with me? Seriously. Who's with me?

3. jellyfish

jellyfish VIP

How much would a lobbyist cost that is capable of bringing a bill out? 50k/mo for a year perhaps?

I mean how many fact finding missions to hawaii is this going to take?

fact finding mission reference: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1540814/

(also a book but tl;dr)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  4. DoldGigga

DoldGigga VIP

I think if the lobbyist was funded as part of an "industry initiative" much like the MPAA and RIAA have been doing (with a degree of success) to get unconstitutional legislature passed (DMCA, ACTA) then it would be worth the cost and it would not cost any one member that much.

5. DKPMO

DKPMO VIP

Shouldn't you be able to do that under existing laws? BTW, how is your lawsuit against Yahoo going?

6. Fun4uoc

Fun4uoc VIP

Wait, what???

7. DKPMO

DKPMO VIP

Well, he's been telling us for ages he could prove in the courts of law that blocking is illegal. I was just curious about his latest achievements on that front.

Hope he has something to impress the hell out of us.

8. DoldGigga

DoldGigga VIP

You didn't answer my question, DKPMS? It's almost like you're scared or something...