Moving on a large set of existing old data.

Discussion in 'Noob Central' started by blacktea, Jul 14, 2014.

1. blacktea

blacktea New Member

Hey gang!

I have run into a dilemma, as I have seen way too many conflicting opinions.

As I have stated in my intro post, we are moving our mailing efforts from an in-house shabby platform onto a 3rd party one (VoloMP).
    Our list is couple million big, with approx 500k being sent to regularly for the last few years. We want to send to all of them, and our solution is not up to the task.

Transferring the 500k and the existing setup (IPs, domains etc) does not have me worried, as we have FBL's and all the other stuff set up and and have a good reputation.

What worries me is the rest of the data. We have opt in on all of them and of course follow all the local laws, however we understand that a six year old opt in does not mean that they want to receive email from us. Despite that my job is to maximize revenue and we will try to mail onto them.

We have cleaned the data thoroughly to get rid of any hard bounces. How do we approach it now?

The existing set-up on the 500k clients is very profitable, we have almost nil complaints, good deliverability and great reputation. Our thoughts are that adding the rest of list (even gradually) onto it might screw things up and that would be a disaster for the business.

We have thus decided to go the standard route - buying ranges, warming up IPs, burning them in the process and learning the hard way. In this regard we are noobs.

Finally the questions :)

Question 1
    Was that a good decision? Or should we slowly add data to the existing setup transferred to Volo? We are extremely cautious and would like to avoid that. But maybe we are not reasonable.

Question 2
    I will not ask loads of noob questions that have all be answered here. Just one I cannot find an answer for :) For a given range (say /24) is it better to have it all on a single domain, or multiple domains and rotate them or even 256 domains? From the old posts on the web it seems that multiple domains and rotations to "confuse" the receiving server were the way to do, however today it might not be the norm? Especially given the fact that we will setup FBLs from the beginning?
    So a single domain per range is the way to go now?

As always, thanks for any input or feedback!

/B

2. nickphx

nickphx VIP

Why not cycle through the IPs using the 'good' data.. then slowly add the 'old' data.

3. liondragon

liondragon New Member

1) I don't see a problem with mixing in old data, if everything what you've said is true. You can start really slow, maybe with 5% the volume of your high-responsive list. Then you can gradually test how it perform if you add more.

Other solution is why not mail your 500k with VoloMP and use your old platform for separating active users from the older data of yours.

2) If you say this data is 100% optin, how can you mail it from 256 different domains and expect your subscribers to recognize you? I think that's something you should consider first. If you don't have any complaints or spamtraps in data, just use your original domain at which they subscribed. All FBLs, besides Yahoo are assigned to IP and not domain.

4. blacktea

blacktea New Member

Hi, thanks for the input. That is what has me worried, I do not want to burn the existing IPs. If this is an acceptable strategy, we will try doing that and test it out. We will add about 10% of the old data (round 50k) weekly and i will post the results.

Thanks

5. blacktea

blacktea New Member

Hey, thanks for the reply! We think that the people will not recognize us even if we mail from the domain they god subscribed to, as that could have happened years ago. So in terms of quality we approach it as almost a bought list (read: shit list), or whatever. But you have a valid point that we don't have any (past) complainers or spamtraps in the data and it has been in house cleaned from hard bounces, so adding it to the existing IP/domain setup (just transferred to Volo) is likely a better solution.

Just to clarify, we are doing non-US mailing.

Thanks again fro your advice, it helped a lot in making our decision.