Noob Question on which option to go with - own platform or esp

Discussion in 'Noob Central' started by vworld, Aug 13, 2014.

1. vworld

vworld New Member

Hi Friends

I have been browsing through the threads for a while now and trust me it could very soon get overwhelming for a new member (read noob) to get a hang of it. So I thought of getting it straight from the horse's mouth.

I have a website with a client base of around 500 highly targeted buyers and trial-takers build over the last 3 years. The previous owner of the site did not provide much support and hence lost most of the clients. I am required to change things around. If I were able to reconvert even 50 of these clients, I will be happy. I am thinking of sending some freebees and discount offers to these customers to get them back. But emails from my Cpanel/billing system, except transaction emails, invariably gets classified as spam (should be an incorrect setup). I am using cpanel and a popular billing platform.
    And now I have the following questions:
    1. Should I try to setup/correct my mailing server and send emails in batches of 10-50 or should I just get an ESP like aweber and have them do the mailings.
    2. These emails were collected when clients signed up on the site while either buying or trying the products. No explicit acceptance was taken for subscribing to a mailing list. So can I still send a newsletter to them.
    3. Also what is the best way to check if my mailing server is correctly setup. eventually I will have to set this up correctly, since even support mails land up in spam.

Regards
    vworld

2. Daansen

Daansen Member

/// 1. Should I try to setup/correct my mailing server and send emails in batches of 10-50 or should I just get an ESP like aweber and have them do the mailings.////

I would "get an ESP like aweber".

/// 2. These emails were collected when clients signed up on the site while either buying or trying the products. No explicit acceptance was taken for subscribing to a mailing list. So can I still send a newsletter to them.////

I would send the first email asking for their confirming of "previous acceptance". I could lose most of them after this, in return I would stay completely compliant : )

/// 3. Also what is the best way to check if my mailing server is correctly setup. eventually I will have to set this up correctly, since even support mails land up in spam.////

Perhaps asking for help someone who already has necessary skills, or continuing exploitation of search engines.

3. vworld

vworld New Member

@Daansen

Thanks for the valuable inputs. Even I was of the opinion to go with an ESP.
    And asking for acceptance is going to ensure I will have almost no one left - lol.
    if i would instead send them an offer, I could get everyone to sign up.
    And yeah, I like DIY projects, so basically will browse the forum and search engines to find out what works best and how to set up a testing server, I have a virtualisation platform to exploit.