Noobie needs a little(maybe more) assitance

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by zmiami, May 7, 2013.

1. zmiami

zmiami New Member

I am setting up new bulk mailer. I have my list, my software and my server but can not get them to send. Would love to talk with someone that know better than me and give details on my set up to see where i am going wrong.

Please contact me if you are experienced in these matters as I have heard so many different stories not sure who to believe any more.

Thanks
    Zach

2. raygun

raygun New Member

Sounds like you forgot to push the big red easy button.

Seriously you should post more details of your setup and where you are stuck to get some feedback.

3. zmiami

zmiami New Member

I am just get starting but here is where is my current set up:

Using Boxxermail software
    Using Scala Hosting Server with the following set up with 16 ips that are supposed to rotatable per email send.
    Core i3 2100 -
    Operating system: CentOS
    Windows OS addons: None
    cPanel/WHM control panel: Yes
    Softaculous and RVskin: Yes

And a list of 350k subs that have been scrubbed.

Please let me know what other information might and I will add to conversation
    Thanks
    Zach

4. postmaster

postmaster VIP

Can't get them to "Send"??

Do you see any errors? Do you have domains setup? Authenticated at all? MTA? What domains are you sending to?

What happens when you click send? lol

5. roundabout

roundabout VIP

All for helping noobs here, but I had to laugh when I read his post, it had to be the single most useless post in terms of giving his audience a clue what was going on.

At the end of day, we might just find his monitor was on OFF the entire time.

6. zmiami

zmiami New Member

I did get a kick out of your response, yes its true I am so new I just do not understand. I have everything set up and have 20 test emails I am sending to before a wide release and the only inbox I am hitting is yahoo, All getting delivered but to spam for gmail, hotmail, live, rocket mail, aol and personal email addresses. I have not installed power MTA yet but now understand that seems mandatory.

This is what I am getting from the server company
    Hello,

All of the DNS settings regarding xxxxxxxxxxx.com are based upon IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xx which is the main address of the server. Any other assigned IP addresses doesn't come with any DNS settings except the one of the second name server (xx.xxx.xxx.xxx), because DNS settings are being set for a domain standing behind an IP.

What is your concern? What would be the purpose of the server?

7. raygun

raygun New Member

That software doesn't look like that software can handle multiple ips and it looks like Boxxermail is selling interspire email marketer under their own name (could be an issue). I am guessing it is a nulled version.

As far as not hitting the inbox. Start troubleshooting the problem. Check to see if the ip is already blacklisted, check your rDNS, DKIM, etc. I saw a great noob post somewhere on here that covered that. Do some searches. There are a lot of little pieces to it. Just keep going, testing, and learning. Mailing makes you a noob everyday. Things change and you always learn something new.

8. zmiami

zmiami New Member

Thanks, that the first really piece of help I have got as i did notice that boxrxermail and insprire looked very similar but I will say on boxxermails behalf they have done a lot of work with the server company to fix it.
    Will keep testing until I get delivery as I have over 3 million subs I want to reach
    Thanks again

9. xwgpx55

xwgpx55 VIP

I'm not much of a TLD mailer, but from what I know your domains need to have some age on them, and must be used properly in order for them to pass spam detection.

As for your creative, a good thing to learn is to create a junk email address with hotmail, gmail, etc, and go sign up for some crappy co-reg, or zip and email submits. Watch the spam pile it, but take note as to what kind of mail actually gets to your inbox. See what is working for other people, and try to base your ideas off of those.

Mailing is daunting, just stick with it.

10. zmiami

zmiami New Member

Thanks for the assistance so far. I was wondering if anybody had a better answer for gmail delivery.
    My server is all set using Interspire and PMTA
    I created A records and associated SPF records for all IP's
    I have tested on every ISP I can find and all get delivered to inbox, yahoo, outlook, live, hotmail but can not get into gmails inbox. I get green light in preview for all except gmail which says "Gmail removes anything before the body tags". Is there anything I can do to correct this.
    I am also getting a zero spam rating when testing from software.
    I am not sure about settings for suppression features either and would like to know if I should be doing something there as well.
    Also would like to know what most people use to test their ips on a daily basis to make sure I am always clean
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Zach

11. airin

airin Member

There are very few people that can inbox all of the domains you listed... You might be better off picking 1 or 2 to focus on and get comfortable with mailing in general.

Where is your data coming from? Is it proprietary? Are you mailing 3rd party campaigns? These things are also big factors in to how you should be mailing.

12. zmiami

zmiami New Member

Thank you for the input. That make a lot of sense. Yes the data is proprietary at the moment but will be adding lots more down the road. Yes they will be third party campaigns so as suggested i will stick with just a couple domains to start.
    On the last two questions, should i be using any type of suppression and what is the best way to keep a eye on my ips?
    Thanks for the help as i am very new buy just have a lot of lists and will add slowly as i learn
    Zach

13. airin

airin Member

You should also use suppression fileSSSS. You should be keeping a master list of people that have opted out of your mailings, you should be also suppressing from a list provided by the advertiser who owns the offer you are mailing and you should spend some time and find a solid database of known complainers. =)

If the data is proprietary and they have opted in to sites you own and they are familiar with you should continue to use those brands/domains. You will benefit greatly from the recognition with less complaints and more response.

14. nickphx

nickphx VIP

I would look into another list manager instead of interspire. Unfortunately that software has been cracked and abused by greasy paper gangsters, so it's pretty well printed as a source of spam, you will have trouble building reputation or hitting inbox of any domain with even the most simple filters.

15. PermaNull

PermaNull VIP

Beyond that it's a piece of crap in terms of speed for sending to the MTA or even uploading/managing lists.

But I agree with nick here, IEM is like the worst of the worst when it comes to mailing in my experience.

Also I don't mail TLD/BIG4 but I thought you had to have the IP warmed up for it to inbox at all even from the start?... (New never mailed on IP+aged domains for me always hit spam no matter the content).

16. zmiami

zmiami New Member

I want to thank you all for the support of us Newbies. I was told Interspire might be an issue but I am also dealing with a new server I am not sure was set right along with PMTA, all of which I had never had to deal withe before. I have been test slowly no more than like 20k a day and it appears through my stats everything is getting delivered unfortunately to spam. I even took two of my good lists from AW and GR that always get 5% open rates and great CTRs and added them to the new server and not only did they not get to inbox but the had a 30% bounce rate where it usually less than 1%.
    According to server stats everything is getting received but not to the inbox, does not matter TLD/BIG4 or even GI.

Yeah it is really slow as well, what are the next steps or options for a proper delivery system I am sitting on a lot of names and and no where to go with them.

Any help would be appreciated. I have also check every possible tool to if i am being blocked and all IPs DNS and domain all come up clean.

Also read this in google terms but afraid to change any of my setting
    Zach
    To create an SPF record for a domain:

Locate the page from which you can update the DNS records.
    You may need to enable advanced settings.
    Create a TXT record containing this text: v=spf1 include:_spf.google.com ~all

Publishing an SPF record that uses -all instead of ~all may result in delivery problems. See Google IP address ranges for details about the addresses for the Google Apps mail servers.
    If your registrar also requires a host setting (such as @), see the TXT records for specific domain providers list for precise instructions.
    Save your changes.
    Keep in mind that changes to DNS records may take up to 48 hours to propagate throughout the Internet.

17. PermaNull

PermaNull VIP

SPF, PTR, etc records are very important...

I've inboxed GI before using IEM(Interspire) so I doubt that's your issue,
    Check your IP addresses against blacklists and make sure there's no issue there.

Get your self a seed that shows you the Spam Score of your email and tells you what rules you've hit ( MediaTemple's email services are good for this ).

Once you see why exactly your stuff isn't inboxing via reviewing the headers of the email in your seed you'll probably get a bit more help and or figure it out your self.

18. zmiami

zmiami New Member

Thanks I will keep trying

19. nickphx

nickphx VIP

Did you actually spend $10k on a license for powermta or are you running a cracked version?

20. quicknrandom

quicknrandom VIP

He's most likely running the cracked version. If he had enough money to buy pmta, he most certainly shouldn't be using IEM.