Now that TLDs...

Discussion in 'Mail Chat' started by SuperGenii, Dec 23, 2015.

1. SuperGenii

SuperGenii www.DataMCP.com

Now that Top Level Domains such as .com and .net are becoming less relevant, and more affordable TLDs such as .xyz being less than $2 in some places, I vote we as an industry come together and stop the ignorant misuse of the term TLD to reference mailing to hotmail, aol, gmail and yahoo.

More and more TLDs are becoming available, and mail perfectly well to some of the aforementioned 4 major ESPs.

A TLD or Top Level Domain is the domain appearing to the right of the farthest right dot.
    For example: http://top.level.domain/
    Here the word 'domain' is the TLD.

I like using .click, .link as well - both were $2/year or less and mail 100% and offer some clever domain options being they are pretty new. For example.. http://youknowyouwantto.click/

I would like to ask those of you who prefer to justify your misuse of TLD with reasons like "everyone else does it" to now graduate to the ranks of those who sound like they know what they're talking about and We shall welcome you with open arms. Resolve to stop misusing TLD in 2016, find a common and appropriate alternative, and help us as an industry to sound less ignorant about our own terminology.

Merry Christmas 2015
    Super Genii, Inc.

2. damian

damian Active Member

<3 those $1.00 .xyz domains

I've also seen a few $0.50 "tlds" at certain registrars.

Has saved me a ton of money this year.

Ps.
    I have noticed however on some of my trap seeds that mailers are junking Gmail pretty heavily with .xyz Could just be that my seeds have a few bad mailers on it. For GI though all is good and I'm enjoying the savings!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  3. Deliver

Deliver New Member

It's just lingo. I say who cares how people refer to the 'Big 4 ISPs' as long as everyone else in the industry understands.

4. ElReyalto

ElReyalto VIP

Except that most mailers use TLD for recipient domains, not sending, so I'm not sure why your argument applies in that regard as those are controlled by a single source (AOL, Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail) It's still the same "Big 4" in that regard although I always just use that term vs. TLD since you could argue the cables/broadbands are also "TLD."

5. SuperGenii

I have not heard anyone argue that cables or broadband should also be mislabeled TLDs...

Again - you people, "and assholes as well" (added to include BeB) can defend whats wrong or challenge yourself to sound less ignorant..

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  6. BigEricBug

BigEricBug VIP

"You people" LOL Gotta love it.

7. SuperGenii

Oooops.. I forgot about you.. "You people, and assholes as well,"

There ya go..

SG

8. maileradmin

maileradmin Mailer Forum Staff Member

I remember when I first came here and saw people saying that tld and that confused the hell out of me. Since in my head I been dealing with the domains for years and tld is the domain ending...

9. BigEricBug

BigEricBug VIP

ahhhhh, been a while, thank you for the personalization, makes me feel nice, to be included in a " TLWQ " (top level weenie quote) ....Have a Happy New Year Weenii !!

10. topcoder

topcoder New Member