Odd Ball Email Lists

Discussion in 'Mail Chat' started by DaMadHatter, May 18, 2011.

1. DaMadHatter

DaMadHatter Active Member

What are the "value" on recently acquired email lists?

Whether they are coming from paid membership sites, social networks, or similar. What is the "value" on the open market?

:22:

2. PushSend

PushSend VIP

Squadouche! (thnx Tony Cornheiser!) I don't care where it came from. Anyone can get feed data, the only people who think it has value are the cats generating it!

:33:

3. DaMadHatter

Oh, I was just curious is all. A little devil's advocate if you will.

I suppose if it's of no value, people can just keep their membership lists and emails to themselves. Old or fresh.

:hmmmm:

4. PushSend

PushSend VIP

I figured as much, I know your posting style. But this is all (IMO) rev share data and to that it has no value, that's why it's offered up on a rev share because who'd pay for it? Now you want to talk about opener/clicker or delivery verified data? Now there's data with 'value'. But this is just my .02...I'm sure someone else would say diffrent.

:eating:

5. DaMadHatter

Oh, I was not talking about revenue share data.

I have run both free and pay membership sites since 1997. in addition to that, I have recently purchased some social network sites, and an affiliate program from another online sector. Obviously, a lot of different data and email. Some old, some fresh. In regards to the newer sites, some of them are getting a few hundreds new daily sign ups with the double opt-in confirmation. They have to use valid addresses to gain access to the sites, but not segmented into verticals.

Anyway, I figured I would ask what that's worth on the open market for the sake of discussion. Thanks chief.
    :thrasher:

6. roundabout

roundabout VIP

MadHatter - if you own the sites yourself, that's always a plus as the data isn't being given to 2-3 other mailers which really means 200-300 other mailers in broker-ese lingo. The problem is even the best data becomes subject to traps after a few months, and I have a sense you haven't really hit the data yet, so you're going to have many of the same issues a mailer will have taking any new data on for testing... old addresses turned into honeypots and lots of other fun stuff. That aside, if you can get them out and you have a lot of the data, it could turn into something special eventually.

7. DaMadHatter

That's what I was thinking. Scrub the shit out of them, and see where it goes in time. Right now I am just racking them up until I have a decent volume, and then will make that decision. Right now most are simply being used for news letters and small network offers. I clear out any bounces along the way.

8. gspot

gspot VIP

HELLZ YA!!! I couldn't have said it better, only way to know its value is to test it and see what fruit it will bare. Impossible to put a value on something with no merit.