Open IP different than Click IP

Discussion in 'Mail Chat' started by Diablo, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Diablo

Diablo Member

I'm sending YH.

Over the past week or so I have seen a jump in clicks with no increase in conversions. The increase is all coming from the same /27. The open IP of all the users that these clicks are coming from is different, everything is unique IPs for the opens. I looked up the /27 in arin and it belongs to a internet security company.

I've been mailing this data for a long time and this just happened out of the blue. Nothing has changed, just the jump in theses clicks.

One other thing. Offers that normally get higher clicks are getting more of these clicks. Offers that normally get lower clicks are getting less of these clicks.

What would you do...remove them from the list?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  2. docbrown

docbrown Member

You'll want to identify the all IPs associated with these clicks and do something else with them. don't count them as "clicks". What you do with them is up to you. some redirect elsewhere, some block, etc..

Run a search for "click bots" on here, you'll find a number of posts addressing the issue.

3. Diablo

Diablo Member

What I have been doing for bots is I put a hidden link in the body and record the email, ip, agent for all clicked. In addition to redirecting or blocking the IPs, I assume you remove the emails associated with them?

4. docbrown

docbrown Member

I don't always remove the emails associated with them. I evaluate on case-by-case basis by looking at the click patterns, then deciding. its possible you could be removing good emails.
    I'm not sure about yahoo, but another I've noticed at other ISPs is that if a user clicks "this is spam", it will trigger a series of clicks, etc from random ip addresses. in this case for me the user would already have been removed via a feedback loop.
    If you don't remove them, its important is that you don't count them as clickers, so they will fall off your active lists unless of course legitimate activity starts coming in.

5. nickphx

nickphx VIP

Some of those 'security' companies offer URL categorizing and filtering gateways. If you redirect those suspected bot IPs to your affiliate network links, your traffic will probably end up getting blocked and mail filtered.

6. PushSend

PushSend VIP

Ain't it "funny" how a noob can come in here and make a post without getting his ass handed to him??!! But then again, this noob in particular took the time to form a proper post with pertinent information along with the fact that "he/she/it/they" put in the time to actually present a position on the situation and have the foresight to post everything they gleaned from their efforts in order to better serve the members here in helping them! Kudos noob, kudos.

7. Diablo

Diablo Member

I'm only a noob to this forum, not mailing. I normally pull all the click bots. In this case what I found odd was that the open IP didn't match the click IP. Currently all I do is YH and I'm use to seeing them match. I did find it interesting that you guys don't necessarily pull the email associated with the click...I will try that moving forward.

8. Diablo

Diablo Member

Nothing bad has happened as of yet. They are all coming from 216.163.188.220 - 240 which is part of a /20 they have 216.163.176.0/20 Company is Commtouch, which appears to have changed their name to Cyren.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  9. Diablo

Diablo Member

Don't know if anyone wants my bot IP list or not, but here it is.

They all came from mailing YH. I had a tiny clear image link in the body.

There's like 523 IPs.

Attached Files: