Poll: What Got You Into Mailing?

Discussion in 'Noob Central' started by roundabout, Jul 13, 2012.

1. roundabout

roundabout VIP

It's impossible to actually do a poll, everyone will have a unique story.. however, we'd like to hear it.

At what point did you see something that made you want to get into email marketing? Was it a friend or business associate? Something you read online? At what point did you say "I'm going to try this" and begin investing money into the planning?

Noobs, this is definitely for you to fill out as well, so we can get to know who you are, please introduce yourselves and tell us why you are wearing a mailing hat!

2. VelocitySoftware

VelocitySoftware Member

Home Page:
    Started as software developer just out of college at a marketing company. They had an email software. Took over development of that system and made 10 times better. Did that for a couple years that split away from that company with their head sales person to form our own company and have been going strong ever since.

3. DaMadHatter

DaMadHatter Active Member

The only mailing we have do/ne is to ex-members of our websites. Whether free or paid membership.

Email is a valuable tool to gain feedback from members, or to tailor your messages based on their habits/wants/needs as you gather via data mining. You want to keep them a member or buying for life. However, you obviously do not want to piss them off to the point they unsubscribe. You have to do a delicate balance of messages catering to things they would be interested in. This takes time to perfect in that regard.

If you do it correctly, you build up that loyalty and trust, and have a long time customer who actually looks forward to your newsletters.

4. DKPMO

DKPMO VIP

5. arbydar

arbydar VIP

Way back in the 90's (yep, last century) I found myself as an affiliate manager for a leads company. Eventually becoming a partner. Once that dissolved I went on my own and did a lot of business with MLM people (real good folks - salt of the earth types), but every now and then a full fledged mailer would come along and buy large amounts of data and not even flinch at the price. That made me go "hmmm". So slowly but surely gravitated over to the dark side here. Went through many different mailers and methods over the years. Some of them are: Maxsponder, Supermailer, Groupmail, Send-Safe (made a lot of moola with this one). ARP3, SuperGenie, mywebshost, and others.

You'd expect that over all those years I'd have it figured out pretty good by now.Well sorta. Mailing has been good and can't complain about the income, it's better than anything else I've done, but the millions seem to be rolling in rather slowly. lol 'Bout the only constant seems to be "change".

Just some philosophical waxing from a veteran of the industry. Thanks for listening. If you're just getting started I'd say be serious and persistent. It definitely pays off

6. BigEricBug

BigEricBug VIP

DKPMO.......are u for real??? LOL :alcoholic:

7. DKPMO

DKPMO VIP

You are doubting this? Are you for real?

8. BigEricBug

BigEricBug VIP

Yes I am, but I forgot, you are not a regular member of the human race, I am a mere mortal...

NO...not doubting this at all, LOL

9. roundabout

roundabout VIP

Forgive him, for he does not understand the complexities and genius in your DNA...

10. DKPMO

DKPMO VIP

[​IMG]

11. BigEricBug

BigEricBug VIP

Thanks for translating for me Roundy!

12. nymailer

nymailer VIP

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2012
  13. postmaster

postmaster VIP

Back in 1994 or so, I was first experiencing the internet. I was living in a dorm room at college and using the university VAX system. (Yes, we didn't have Windows machines yet.) I spent months researching "how to make money". Back then there wasn't the resources we have today on the net. I ended up getting on tons of snail mail bizop lists.

One day I received a chain letter in the mail. Being green behind the ears and not knowing any better.. I thought this was the best freaking thing ever. "Send $5 to these 4 people and each will send you a valuable report of how to make money... add your name to the #1 report and bump everyone up a report". This thing had a kick ass sales letter that explained it all.

Anyway, I was trying to figure out how the hell I would get this awesome new venture advertised, and low and behold... I got someone's biz op email in my inbox... but it was cc'd! The list was there in plain view. About 3,000 recipients. (Okay. Yes. I know it was wrong now. And I'm sure I've been paid back in bad karma 10 times since.. but anyway.... )

I took that chain letter I had gotten in snail mail and simply turned it into an electronic form, but instead of mailing the report.. everyone would email the report for the $5. Then I started emailing it out to the list.

Next thing I know.. I'm getting about 50 bucks in five dollar bills per week. I was big time! But about the time I started seeing it grow.. and my name/address was getting bumped into report #2 and #3.. Disaster happened! I got two very threatening letters... one from the US Postal Inspector, and the other from the Canadian Postal Inspector!!!

Needless to say, I was scared shitless, so I stopped everything... deleted everything... and that first email venture was done. But at that point, I knew the power of email.

On a side note... I periodically saw that chain letter spammed to me for years after that. Some of you probably did too.

Don't hold my past transgressions above against me... I was just a kid trying to find my way then.