PowerMta Speed

Discussion in 'Mail Chat' started by hucci, Sep 24, 2016.

1. hucci

hucci Member

Im using pmta with bulky ram and cores dedicated server after sending couple of millions GI emails i notice that the OUT speed is slow.. any suggestions on how to speed up the OUT speed?

2. hisoka222

hisoka222 New Member

Check your max-msg-rate and set it to unlimited and control the speed from your front-end esp delay, make sure you use multi-threading

3. hucci

hucci Member

I did all that stuff and the out speed still slow..

4. sendizo

sendizo Member

PMTA is sending without any backoff right? how many emails in the last hours where delivered if you don't mind me asking?

5. hucci

hucci Member

Yeah i did normal mode same results ive like 105k IN and only 2k/min OUT..

6. nikt0x

nikt0x New Member

I think your provider who slow your IP limit you should ask them about this issue.

7. hucci

hucci Member

Could be but i'm not sure.. is there a way to test IP Limit with Unix commands?

8. nickphx

nickphx VIP

This is why powermta is a commercial product that one pays for. When one pays one receives support from the developer.

9. sendizo

sendizo Member

Sending speed depends on the server hardware and the network,

perhaps its a configuration that limits the sending speed. or as you said check with your hosting provider.

10. hucci

hucci Member

The network speed for the server is 1gpbs, i have good cpu and ram also configuration is unlimited and normal mode is set but still slow..

11. nikt0x

nikt0x New Member

As i mentioned Limit is not related to the hardware materials, I advice you to contact your provider support.
    And note in mind that ISPs may slow delivery too so you have to test your speed in night and morning and see the different it may the problem be in ISPs and not your server :)

12. DKPMO

DKPMO VIP

PMTA code is not optimized for high-speed GI blasting... it is just a general-purpose commercial MTA...

13. mediaencounter

mediaencounter New Member

Ignore what this guy said. PowerMTA code IS optimized for highspeed blasting. the reason its slowing down after millions of GI is because of DNS lookups.

14. omega1c2

omega1c2 VIP

He is right. On GI, you will need a fast recursive DNS. Not only are the MX lookups in play but also: DKIM, SPF and DMARC (if you use).
    On Big 4 and Broadband it doesnt matter much and heck you can put a DNS on a celeron and it will work.
    Big4 and Broadband are only less than 2 dozen or so domains give or take. On GI, its probably best to sort your list
    by domain so once the MX lookups are done and cached subsequent sends are faster.

15. nickphx

nickphx VIP

dkim,spf,dmarc are not resolved by powermta during sending. those are all sender authentication methods used by the MTA of the receiving server.

If you're relying on third party dns servers, you're going to run into problems like rate limiting, stale cache, and false responses for NXDOMAIN results.

If you're a papergangster on a shoestring budget you can setup your own recursive resolver solution using unbound (https://calomel.org/unbound_dns.html). You can use unbound to forward requests through a rotating list of dns servers. The software tracks the response time and will send requests to the best performing dns servers. Of course you're still at the mercy of rate limits, dns cache, and any other fuckery of the remote hosts.

If you're benny bigwheel, you can setup some of your own caching resolvers. When you host your own recursive resolving servers you can control all things. Here's a diagram of a pmta setup using a local resolver configured to use 3 of our own caching resolver servers which are configured to expire the answers from remote hosts after 4 hours. The cache timing on the local resolver is a bit longer as we don't want to keep pmta waiting.

Using a similar setup I've been able to resolve the MX records and their associated A records for 8 million domains in under 10 minutes.
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. nickphx

nickphx VIP

correction..
    dkim,spf,dmarc are not resolved by powermta during sending - unless explicitly configured to do so with check-mfrom-outbound, check-pra-outbound then just SPF is checked.

17. SuperGenii

SuperGenii www.DataMCP.com

Impressive as usual Nick

18. 171Mails

171Mails New Member

if this issue is due to slow DNS resolve. you can optimize PMTA config like below -

<domain domainname>
    route [remote mx IP]:25
    </domain>

you can find mx IP by using "host domainname" command
    and then

"host <mxfqdn>"

let me know if need more help.

19. nickphx

nickphx VIP

Try that with 8,000,000 domains and let me know how that goes. Even if you grouped the domains by shared mx host to lower the size of configuration, I don't think powermta would be very happy.

20. DoldGigga

DoldGigga VIP

- Are you running a firewall on your server? It's likely that you have some default version of something set up since you seem to be fairly clueless and are the type who would run with all default settings while expecting optimized results. Make sure your conntrack number is high enough to support many simultaneous connections. You can also increase tweak the TCP/IP stack to handle large numbers of simultaneously open connections as well as enabling recycle so that it reuses open connections when possible.

- If you're resolving MX more than once per send, you're doing it wrong. Bind, a standard DNS server, can easily cache this passively for you substantially speeding up performance. All you really need to do is bump up cache size to 256-512 MB. There are other things you can do to help with this, but 512 MB of cache should be enough to handle several thousand queries per second.

- Keep in mind that RDNS queries will be hitting your server a lot as you send and this is where things tend to get sluggish when your system is not properly tuned.

- You don't really need dkim or SPF for gi, so don't waste time with that.

- You can and should check iostat to see if your disks are choking. Email programs making many small read/writes can really bog a system down quickly. Once you get it working, set logging to "only errors".

Are there really 8M domains that you want to be sending to, especially if maybe 50% of them have fewer than 100 emails associated with them. Sending GI might make more sense to cull your list and send to domains that have at least 500-1,000 unique email addresses associated with them.