Question on Tunneling

Discussion in 'Noob Central' started by Jumper, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Jumper

Jumper Member

Staying in the noob pen, but have to ask question to the experienced mailers: what is the reason for tunneling when I can setup my smtp mailer and injector within an hour?

2. DoldGigga

DoldGigga VIP

One scenario where tunneling might be necessary as opposed to setting up an MTA on each box you want to mail from, is if you're leasing IPs and the lessor does not want to give you access to the box which is on the same LAN as the IPs. They'd set up a tunnel on their end and allow you to connect to it, thereby avoiding having to grant you root access.

Another scenario is where you get some virtual server just for its IPs, and choose the minimal spec to save money on the monthly fee. You can then set up a $5/mo server with 5-10 ips and tunnel thru it because it wouldn't be quick enough to send mail at a decent rate if you set up the MTA locally.

3. phdesign

phdesign Active Member

And yet another scenario: Suppose you set up your MTA on a server/VPS and mail away for a week. You went through all the trouble of adding creatives, refining your data and have tons of mail out there with the links going through that server. Then you get a complaint and your host simply turns off your server with no notice. If you didn't just back up everything then not only is your work lost including your current data and setup, but you also lose all your future potential clicks.

4. damian

damian Active Member

unless you get a ctr server

5. Jumper

Jumper Member

Is there anyway to keep the server that you are mailing from anonymous?

Experienced that already.

Appreciate the feedback for the noob!

6. DoldGigga

DoldGigga VIP

What are you trying to hide?

7. Jumper

Jumper Member

I am buying data from a broker. I don't have a relationship with anyone, and even though I scrub it, I don't want to get hit by one of those law firm honeypot emails that sue mailers. I know of a mailer in my DC that was sued for 20k by the one of those lawyers, so I am paranoid as a noobie.

8. nickphx

nickphx VIP

Those guys usually follow the money and subpoena the affiliate network / advertiser.

9. DAgent

DAgent Moderator

Home Page:
    Mostly, speed. Tunnelling became popular in the mailing world before 2004, when the can-spam wasn't here already and the problem was to find an IP provider from a country with not-so-great internet connections.

This led to what became known to source routing (although the terminology isn't quite accurate), which basically consisted on tunneling the IPs from the source (usually India or China) through a GRE P2P tunnel (or good old days vtun) to a very fast (100mbps in 2003) server usually located within the country you wanted to generate traffic from. That's about it

If you want to make sure the server you are mailing from isn't visible, just make sure to block ICMP (known ping protocol) in two routers (if you are using routers versus linux boxes with ipforward enabled)
    - The server where your software is located at
    - The server / router that has the IPs routed to it

How they would find your computer? using traceroute / tracert tools from linux/windows respectively. Which basically works like a ping-through-routers kinda tool. It reveals the IPs of the routers / computers that are routing traffic for a specific location on the internet (IP address). By blocking ping on the computers / routers I just mentioned, you'll have any curious entity losing your track before getting to the datacenter that your mailing IPs are in.

I hope this helps to get an idea about your innocent noob question...

10. Jumper

Jumper Member

I was thinking it in terms of cleaning mails on another server before mailing (like this is a test or something). How do mailers usually clean their mails for closed accounts or full boxes after scrubbing? I will be CAN-SPAM compliant when I mail, but don't want to screw up the rep of my IP mailing out data that will bounce. I have data that I bought with full information, and verified the information. I am assuming that the consumer signed off on 3rd parties buying it, but you can't be 100% sure.

@DAgent appreciate the explanation.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  11. damian

damian Active Member

i dont mail tld but if you get a lot of those types of emails with their inbox/spam folders full it's probably shitty and/or whored out data

12. DoldGigga

DoldGigga VIP

Nothing wrong with buying data so long as the place that originally acquired it had some kind of privacy policy in place that stated the users' information would be shared with 3rd parties for marking purposes.

I don't think that you should feel like anonymity and hiding yourself is a smart play. Register a company like "Premium Pork LLC" and proudly announce that you are a marketing company engaged in broadcasting email. Put up a website and include some contact info to describe your services.

LLCs are very cheap and easy to register, btw, and provide your personal assets with a layer of protection from such lawsuits. If you are sued and lose, the worse that can happen is a judgment is filed against you. You can respond by throwing the LLC into bankruptcy and starting "Heavenly Horsemeat LLC" to continue emailing. Not that complicated.

13. damian

damian Active Member

dibbs XD

14. Jumper

Jumper Member

Good idea. What if the broker doesn't have the privacy policy, but legit data? I have the ability to check the data to the address and etc., but can't be sure if they were a customer of that website.

First timer, so it is like sticking it in a girl and not too sure if you are going to get STD. I'll look around at different marketing sites. Thanks for the suggestion.

15. Jumper

Jumper Member

I have read a lot of posts where one favors the other. Kind of confusing at this point. I guess I will find out with time.

16. DoldGigga

DoldGigga VIP

The broker themselves doesn't need to have one unless they themselves are generating the leads; the site collecting the information and selling it via the broker does need to have one in order for you to have a sound legal basis for marketing to the list.

If you just met her earlier that night, then she strips down and it begins to smell like a chinese fish market on a hot summer day, you'll want to reconsider any stickery you had planned. On the other hand, if you get to know her first and she has enough self-respect to hold off on sex until some sort of meaningful relationship is established then you are probably in the clear as far as STDs go. Business isn't really any different.

17. Diablo

Diablo Member

There are programs that you can get that will connect to the smtp of the domain of an email and then act as if they are going to send a message. It will only send the amount of data required to get the smtp to return if the username is valid or not and then disconnect, without ever sending any messages. Which the program then records if the username is valid or not. You can also get a program that checks if a domain is valid and if it is capable of receiving mail. So if you are mailing many domains, you could first check what domains are good and remove the bad one and then check which username are valid for the good domains.

Now, if you are mailing yahoo, this doesn't work, because the way their smtps work, you have to actually go trough all steps of sending a message before it actually will return if the username was invalid. So any username that was valid, will actually get a message sent to them. However, there is an alternate way to verify usernames for yahoo that won't do this.

18. damian

damian Active Member

gotta love dem cliffhangers

19. Jumper

Jumper Member

I think I have all the email verifiers out there including a send-safe version; none of them work especially with GI. I have to verify the old fashion way by mailing.

Thanks for the help all!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016