Setting up an ESP

Discussion in 'ESP Discussion' started by swank, Feb 17, 2016.

1. swank

swank Member

Im about to start offering mailing/hosting servers and soon hope to setup a full fledged ESP. I've offered all of this in years past but times were different then. I've never setup a full fledged ESP.

Any advice?

2. topcoder

topcoder New Member

I thought about doing this before in the past, I was going to create a bunch of funny/political domain names like "[email protected]", "[email protected]" and then allow people to create emails with those different extensions.

What mail server do you plan on using?

3. swank

swank Member

4. DoldGigga

DoldGigga VIP

I love that. It's like going from "hey guys how do" to "full fledge ESP offering" in a matter of weeks. :D

The reality of the situation is that if you plan to offer email as a service, you'll either be dealing with fools from somewhere like warriorforum who want to spam their ebook customers about more ebooks that tell them how to get rich selling ebooks like the one they just bought, or you'll be dealing with people who claim to be ready to send 10 billion per day, but need to do a 500K test for free.

Decide which segment you want to cater to because you won't be able to do an "all of the above" thing and not suck at it. If you do go for the mailderp segment you'll have to compete with the more established esps for customers. If you go for the "believes they're a pro but not really" mailer segment, you'll probably commit suicide from the endless stream of stupid that flows your way. I can't say there's a lot of in-between there because those people figured out that it's better for them to send email themselves...which suggests that offering a sending platform may be a better play than full ESP service.

My take is that if you think that being the ESP is more profitable than just sending good offers, you're probably going to be in for a disappointment. Perhaps a better approach would be to keep the emailing in-house for yourself but spend time developing your own offers that you can promote by email, cutting out CPA networks altogether.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. swank

swank Member

Thanks for all the input. I think i will just start with offering servers. Ill let the clients go from there. I really only wish to attract compliant mailers from here that know what they are doing and wont get us listed a bunch. Well see how everything goes.