Setting Up Domains

Discussion in 'Mail Chat' started by mrlucky123, Jul 13, 2013.

1. mrlucky123

mrlucky123 Member

Hey guys,

I just have a question about setting up the domains in mailing GI, I understand normally we would have to change NS1 and NS2 of the dmains pointing to the IPs of the mail server. So my question is this, is there anyway instead of changing the NS1 and NS2, we can just change the A record of the domains and that is it. I have heard some people said it's possible, but I have no idea how it will work.

Thanks in advance

2. nickphx

nickphx VIP

No.

That's not how DNS works. When you register a domain name, you set what name server(s) are responsible for answering dns queries for that domain. The IPs that you set as your name servers must answer queries for the domains. If they do not, nothing will resolve.

Even if you managed to create a child name server 'www' of your domain and set it to the IP address you wanted to use for web crap, it would still fai. When a client asks a recursive name server for the A record of www.domain, the recursive name server checks the root name servers for information on the domain. The root name servers return a list of name servers to query for information on the domain. If you set the NS to www.domain.com, the recursive resolver would attempt to query www.domain.com as a name server for the A record. Without a dns server running on that IP with the proper zones the query would fail.

3. mrlucky123

mrlucky123 Member

Thanks Nick.