Tracking Stats in Google Sheets or Excel Using APIs/Scripting

Discussion in 'Mail Chat' started by phdesign, Apr 13, 2015.

1. phdesign

phdesign Active Member

Hello all,

In my free time I have been trying to pull stats from various networks into a spreadsheet automatically or as easily as possible. I'm not a programmer but can hack away at some things. I'm not too lazy to count my money ;) but would love to have one button to click and have it more automated since most network tracking softwares have APIs these days. I know tracking options have been discussed in the past. I'm not interested in using a full network like Cake or Linktrust or even something like iMobitrax/CVT right now. I just want to aggregate all the network stats into one place.

While I could have something custom programmed (PHP MySQL kind of tool) I was hoping to find a way to do it with Google sheets. Excel works, but I like to have the stats available online anytime.

However, I haven't managed to figure out Google sheets scripting yet to pull data from network tracking APIs like Cake.

Sure I can get the report to show up in XML but I don't know how to
    1. dynamically post the date(s) for the report (usually want today but would be great to populate the whole spreadsheet) (I'm currently working on a javascript to do this)
    2. parse the XML (or whatever the output is) for the desired field - for example Cake has 11 lines with <revenue>497.1901</revenue> on line 8 and I don't know how to extract it easily.

Has anyone already done this to some degree for Google sheets or even standalone? I'd buy or contribute. If not, I think I'll be hiring a coder but thought I'd ask first so as not to reinvent the wheel!

Thanks!

2. Spounki

Spounki VIP

3. phdesign

phdesign Active Member

Thanks for the response Spounki. I took a quick look at both- I looked at Nifty a few years back so I appreciate the reminder. Both do more than I need but like that they are web-based stats aggregators. I didn't see a couple of programs I use but I'll contact one or both and see if they can integrate them.