US ISPs agree to a penalty system

Discussion in 'Mail Chat' started by roundabout, Jul 14, 2011.

1. roundabout

roundabout VIP

This article, and author, are stupid, stupid, stupid..
    US ISPs agree to a penalty system for copyright violators – What about spammers?

More like Warning: My half-assed incorrect ideas are about to be shared with you.

Enforcing the Can Spam act would be great, ok with you so far.

Here you show your complete and total ignorance. What idiot would be sending mass mail from their private/home ISP? Ok, I suppose there ARE idiots out there who would do this. But how do you determine even then that it's unsolicited SPAM? At what point do thousands of emails break the Can Spam law exactly?

It's so easy to say "Why can't they stop SPAM" but the problem is, how do you identify SPAM? It's the age old question and why legit mailers are constantly at battle with anti's. You hit a spamtrap, fine, we all agree you're spamming. Beyond that, the black and white gets hazy gray.

The author of this horrendous article fails to even give one example of how to determine a SPAMMER and someone breaking Can Spam other than "lots and lots of SMTP connections!" - that's pretty funny!

I would like all individuals reading this to notify the author he's a bumbling twit and to please come up with a better story next time before he decides to post on his blog.

Source for "Ed Fisher"
    [​IMG]
    http://www.allspammedup.com/2011/07...-for-copyright-violators-what-about-spammers/

2. PushSend

PushSend VIP

Well, as this blog and leaving comments on it is not being moderated like ShoeFuckers is, I would suggest that you take the time to leave Mr. Ed :ridinghorse: a comment. The guy's clearly uneducated when it comes to email marketing so maybe we should help him out by droppin' some knowledge on him!

3. JohnFarrell

JohnFarrell VIP

Funny you bring this up. I was testing an injector a while back and cox shut my service off. I wasn't even going over port 25. They assumed I had some kind of Trojan installed.I told them it was and it had been fixed and left it at that.

I wouldn't even agree that if you hit a spam trap you an illegal spammer. I'd say you have crappy list hygiene practices, but your not 100% illegal spammer.

4. mx10

mx10 VIP

these guys are all desperate for content and just churn out meaningless gibberish, everything there could ever be said about spam has already been said thousands of times

5. DKPMO

DKPMO VIP

^ This

As far as the actual effect on mailers, I actually think it would be a positive one. We are already subjected to random ISP harassment and there is no public awareness about their abuses. When the Granma gets cut off by Comcast for something she did not know what the hell she did there will be a lot of stink about ISP policies and practices that will probably lead to some actual standards.

6. xtspx

xtspx VIP

Umm, not really... The only thing the US is, is the largest recipient of Spam. As far as being the largest source, that goes hands down to Russia and then china, in that order. If your're considering any research conducted to tally up Spammers or Spam originating from any particular country, first, shame on you if you think bots for pop3 on US computers weren't being used by Russia and China previously and webmail hijacking of US accounts isn't currently being used by the same culprits to forge the origin of the spam as if it came from the United States. Second, This guy probably used Spamhaus' findings that the US is their #1 origin of Spam, but that very same number considers tons of legit mail and mailers, originating from within the US, in their tally as spam. Go ahead and take a look at the list of the top 10 spammers (according the very same spamhaus) and you'll find that 6 out of 10 of the worlds top spammers are Russian (I'm of course counting Ukraine in the mix) ranked in the #1, #3, #5, #7, #8, #10 spots, and the US merely holding a #6 spot for some spammer that has "Canadian connections".

I'm sorry but I get heated over misconceptions like this, because the truth is that most Spammers aren't in the US and anyone stating that we're the largest source of spam (without understanding that the actual origin of that very same spam isn't from the US) makes life more difficult for all of us with anti's already pointing their magnifying glass in the wrong direction. I'm aware that the US is the target of most of the world's Spam, but most of it isn't really originating from here.

Foof... Ok, rant's over, I'm done. lol :stupido: