What server setup would you recommend for this use case?

Discussion in 'Mail Chat' started by location, Nov 23, 2015.

1. location

location New Member

I mainly use IEM and email content to GI addresses. The content is clean, I am not selling anything, no offers, it's all just news and content, so the spam rate is acceptable. In the past I've simply gotten a dedicated server with 32 IPs from a reputable host and put pmta on it and the server lasts for several weeks. The IPs get dirty but they still deliver at a decent rate.

I usually send like 500,000 emails per day. The main goal is to collect clickers and openers.

Is there a better setup I should be looking into?

Let me know your suggestions. Thank you.

2. docbrown

docbrown Member

This is like saying that you drive a Pinto and want to know if there a better cars out there.

Whats wrong with your current setup? What are you trying to accomplish that your current setup cannot do? Need more info...

3. BigEricBug

BigEricBug VIP

Just don't get into a rear end accident with that Pinto

4. location

location New Member

My current setup: interspire + pmta because all my lists are there

What I want to accomplish is: I want to email my lists, whether 500k or 2 million GI emails and track results (opens, clicks). I want to continue using Interspire+pmta ideally but I am open to suggestions. The issue is how to find VPS or dedicated servers. I also want to know how you guys would approach this problem. Last time I had a pmta dedicated server I was hit with a $500 fee from the host after about 4 months of mailing for violating user agreement.

5. nickphx

nickphx VIP

A better setup than one built on cracked commercial software.... ?

6. location

location New Member

My Interspire is actually legit, paid for it. I paid someone to install pmta, probably an old cracked version, but it works well as far as I can tell. nickphx, would you get a dedicated server with many IPs or go the VPS route?

7. maileradmin

maileradmin Mailer Forum Staff Member

vps is enough. if you use dedis it's not worthed it. interspire is slow. try getting the maborak addons

8. location

location New Member

I have the maborak addons, mta manager and campaign url rotator, is that what you're referring to?

interspire + pmta sends very fast for my purposes, i'm sure i can send 100k/hour, which at this stage is way more than i need

once i get a vps what setup do you recommend? i use centos 6, and the kernel can't do tunneling, i tried, it's a bug in the kernel. i normally just put pmta on the vps and use it as an mta. is that the best option?

9. damian

damian Active Member

I've used tunneling on centos 6 and interspire with no issues. whoever is saying there's a bug in the kernel is probably just avoiding trying to troubleshoot the issue because that's a pretty lame excuse lol.

as for the questions; i'm confused. you said you've been mailing 500k every day using a dedicated server

now you are asking if you should get a vps? why do you want to downgrade? what's wrong with the dedicated server you've been using/used in the past?

10. location

location New Member

after a few weeks they shut it down and hit me with a $500 fee, that's why i'm exploring all options

where can i find a good list of hosts i can use? if they just ignore bounces, it'll be fine. i rarely get complaints.

11. damian

damian Active Member

12. location

location New Member

thank you damian

i was thinking about that specific issue precisely. one of the helpful members here showed me how they do payments, which involves creating and verifying paypal accounts. i know everyone keeps their secrets close to their chest but there are super helpful people here :D

question though: i can't sign up and test drive every host obviously, is there a list of the *top* hosts somewhere? I've experienced some pretty stupid things in the past, for example, hosts who charge $10 for every PTR record change, or hosts who have their entire range blacklisted.

13. damian

damian Active Member

nobody is going to give you something as valuable as that for free. people depend on their hosts ips. last thing we want is other mailers in our "neighborhood" of IPs

14. maileradmin

it's actually true that there's a bug with the kernel, but there's a workaroud

15. location

location New Member

ah ok makes sense, because i had a network engineer set it up in front of me correctly, and it still wouldn't work

what is the fix? is it easy to implement?

16. nickphx

nickphx VIP

yum update && yum upgrade?

17. maileradmin

no you have to revert to a kernel version where the bug is not present. with rpm -i
    I don't remember exactly which one I have it one of my scripts too lazy to look o_O

18. swank

swank Member

You might also look at warriorforum