What you call mailing vs what we media buyers think mailing is...

Discussion in 'Noob Central' started by jacksparrow, Apr 29, 2016.

1. jacksparrow

jacksparrow New Member

I am an experience media buyer, been doing it now for over 6 years full time. I've ventured into this forum as an old friend recommended it.

Anyway, until reading a bunch of posts here I thought emailing is building lists, with say lead magnets, and then getting people to opt in, and then sending them autoresponder sequence, and emails whenever we have something interesting to say.

Then I read the posts; and realized mailing according to this forum is buying data, segmenting, then sending it out to different 'domains' through different ESPs, and different IP address ranges - and that there's different ways to get to "INBOX" depending on the domain/mail server that receives the emails you send. Long story short, you guys send "SPAM" to lists of emails you bought of suckers who for example went through one of our Win an iPhone offer; where they checked YES please contact me about Home Insurance.

Then you craft a message for home insurance for these suckers whose data you bought and send it to them. Do i have a good understanding?

If yes, whats the difference between the way we media buyers that think mailing is building a custom niched list with opted in people through a lead magnet, and sending them 'stories' and engaging them?

2. damian

damian Active Member

lol BS

3. jacksparrow

jacksparrow New Member

you lost me with your 31337 editing skillz

4. damian

damian Active Member

yeesh so uptight

5. damian

damian Active Member

just saying, that would look like some weird landing page

6. swank

swank Member

youve got part of it right. im suprised you didnt know where your data was going.

7. swank

swank Member

these days how much do prechecked box leads go for and unchecked (user has to check it) ?

8. jacksparrow

jacksparrow New Member

when you are an affiliate marketer, you know the media buying/affiliate side (how to run traffic that converts so it costs you less than what u get paid by the CPA network)
    the other side of the coin is the advertiser

you have it like this

AFFILIATES > CPA NETWORK < ADVERTISER

we don't talk to advertisers direct; cpa networks don't want us to because then they don't make money if we go direct. they keep noobs who enter this industry at bay by saying don't go direct advertisers don't pay, they rip people off. true, can happen esp if you don't do due dilligence. there's vehicles to offset this obviously..

advertisers know where all the data they collect gets sold to; hell they are in business to buy this data through affiliated channels for $1, and sell the same data for $5 minus costs, so they will definately profit 100% on the data exchange..

up until reading this forum, i thought the data gets sold to ping and post boards that buy it in bulk, then they sell it to call centers, and the like... i wasn't exactly in tune that email marketers buy it, but now i get it.... sorta...

9. DKPMO

DKPMO VIP

In other breaking news. There is no Santa Claus :)

10. SuperGenii

SuperGenii www.DataMCP.com

What?!?!?!?

11. DoldGigga

DoldGigga VIP

Media buyer? Is that what the anti-open-communication fascists are calling themselves these days?

The key problem is that you attempted thought, and failed.

Ahh, here we go. Not only are you anti-open-communication, you have a problem with capitalism. Why do you even exist?

That's a lot of baseless assumption for a complete moron to be making.

Oh, you want a story? Did you hear the one about the "media buyer" who pays people to email 'stories' to lists of people that expressed interest in buying a product or service? Yeah! Pure genius! But now he's trolling mailerforum now trying to passively-aggressively make a case for anti-spam nazis' righteous indignation.

12. nickphx

nickphx VIP

Just like your "industry" the mailing "industry" has it's share of idiots, assholes, and general scumbags.