Why do weekends suck?

Discussion in 'Mail Chat' started by rwnutra, Oct 5, 2013.

1. rwnutra

rwnutra VIP

I don't get why weekends are less responsive than weekdays. We come from the DRTV world where S/S are our bread & butter and easily make up for weekday shortfalls. In mailing, the results are just the opposite. I get that people shop at work etc. but would think that they also spend time on-line over the weekends. I receive lots of the big brand, store emails on S/S so they must convert for them. I understand that a conversion for Dick's Sporting Goods is different than what we're looking for in a conversion as they're trying to build a brand et. al.

We've tried lots of different offers and everything seems to perform better on weekdays. Weekend opens/clicks are on par, it's the conversions that are suck.

This is so counter intuitive to our DRTV experience. Is this true for all you guys or are we just not sending the right stuff? Love to hear some feedback...

2. phdesign

phdesign Active Member

You can make money in mail on weekends. However, what you mail may need to be quite different. I've heard for years that dating and money offers do better on the weekend. My experience is some dating offers work every day. But interestingly some advertisers pay more for a weekend dating click. First consider what you are sending on the weekends and whether it is something people really think about on those days. Second, consider your data set. In fact you should test different offers at different times to see what your data responds to on different days. In addition some data - if it is responding during weekday business hours - is probably work related email addy's that are thinking about fishing and skiing on S/S rather than what is hitting their "work" email accounts. If you are getting opens and clicks are the offers something people won't respond to because they are busy buying stuff off the infomercials (jk). Really though are they just hitting their mail really quick on Saturday and putting off any buying type decisions until Monday. Finally, if you look around there are many offers that are only available M-F. This is usually due to the call centers working the leads (loans, insurance and others) M-F and don't want to get leads cooling off over the weekend to call on Monday. It doesn't necessarily mean that someone isn't interested in cheaper auto insurance on Sunday, only that the advertisers can't handle the leads. Keep testing...you'll find some offers that work for your data on the weekends or some data that works for more offers on the weekends.

3. DKPMO

DKPMO VIP

People feel lazier on weekends. For many checking email and taking an action about it is "work". Watching TV is entirely different matter, so I do not think these observations are too surprising.

4. rwnutra

rwnutra VIP

Thx for the feedback! I think we'll start to build a S/S open/clickers list and attempt to hone in on the data better. I did some dating last night and it worked all right (6.9% conversions on 1st page submit offer). We'll keep testing...

DKPMO - I hear ya on the concept of email being more like work. It certainly takes more effort than sitting on the couch watching TV. I do think that the lines between TV watching and on-line shopping are becoming more blurred as people tend to multitask more and more these days.

Thanks again for the comments

5. MikeW

MikeW New Member

From our experience dating and freebies do well over the weekend.
    Cash offers as well but you will not see those results till Mon-Thurs because the back-end buyers dont buy leads over weekends.
    For the most part weekends suck on the charts but if you drill down into your sub-ids you will see that the right offer has nice follow through on Monday and Tuesday.

6. blacktea

blacktea New Member

For me it's one word: procrastination!

People at work check your offers because they are lazy and avoid work.

Checking your offers during the weekend = work when compared to other activities (watching football, playing xbox etc)

Track how people react on weekends and email these people with best offers during the weekend. You will eventually build sort of a "weekend list"

7. nickphx

nickphx VIP

The biggest days I've had were on holiday weekends.. Granted I was not mailing GI.

8. arbydar

arbydar VIP

Weeell we must be the exception to the rule because Sunday's are always the money day for us. Saturday's do well too.
    The difference? We we only mail the major domains - AOL mostly. Are you guys strictly GI?
    Maybe we need to run GI during the week to goose up the Monday to Friday rev?